Need Help Vista doesnt boot

Snil

Hey there,

I have the following problem. I tried to start my notebook as usual today but i get the following message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the problem.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting read the boot configuration data.

Unfortunalty i dont have vista cd.

So i downloaded the vista recovery disc burned it and tried to boot from that. Normally i should get a windows screen. But the problem is that after booting from the cd i see the vista loading bar and then i get the following blue screen.

Stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

The Verification of a KnownDLL failed. System process terminated unexpectadly with the status of 0xc0000020 (0x8a313e60 0x0000000).

The System has been shut down.

Hi Snil, welcome to NST.
If you're seeing the Vista progress bar, then presumably the system is still trying to boot from your HDD.
Have you set your BIOS to boot from CD before HDD ?
Did you get a "hit any key to boot from CD" message ?
There should have been one if the PC tried to boot from a good optical recovery disk.
Try booting the CD on another working PC to check if it's OK.
You should see the standard Vista setup screen (although the install button has no function on these recovery disks due to the absence of the Vista Installation files)

Hey,

I did switch om HDD to CD and there was the screen where it said that i should press a key to boot from the CD. I did that and then the other blue screen occurs.

Have you booted it somewhere else to check that it burned OK ?
Otherwise, does this help ? Or any other hit from here.

Last edited:
He Terry,

Thank you for your efforts it is really appreciated. I tried everything but gave up after a couple of hours and installed windows xp sp3. But again thank you for your help.

Back