Need Help With Accessing my Files in Vista

Hey Everybody,

So I've got a problem, my desktop recently crapped out on me and i can't boot it. So i took my old HD from that desktop and placed it into an external HD enclosure and i am now accessing my old HD through USB 2.0 on my laptop.

This laptop runs Windows Vista while my desktop was running Windows XP Pro, now when I go into my Documents and Settings on the HD, i can't access it because i had a password locking my accouunt when i booted up windows (so i had a password protecting my windows login), i'm not sure how to access my old files, while taking permission of them help? and if so, how do i do it because searching online for it really hasn't helped.

How do i get access to my old files and folders??? I don't have to boot up the OS from the enclosure do I (if i have to, how do i do this??)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Hi Jonathon, welcome to NST.
What message do you get when you try to access the files on your external HD ?

Thanks, glad to be part of the forum.

I get the error of, "You Don't Have Permission to Access This Folder", click continue to access this folder. I click continue and it says, to gain access you must go to the security tab.

Basically, I think I have to take ownership of my files. Here in lies the problem, I think i took ownership of them properly but when i try to go access my outlook PST files in

Documents and Settings/ (my user) /Application Data / Local / Microsoft / Outlook

and they seem not to be there anymore, i'm not sure whether i was backing up to another location or whether i just can't see it because i haven't access the permissions correctly.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Hello,

To take ownership of Files in Vista there are many methods that can be used. Just take ownership of the whole App Data folder. Check the box to take ownership of all files and folder under it and you should be all set to go.

How to take ownership of files in Vista - Computer Forums

Cheers,
Mak

Okay, so i found my outlook file

Okay,

So i found my outlook file but the problem is that i cannot copy and paste it into my documents, it says that i don't have permission. I know that the problem is that my old account was password protected so that's why but i don't know what to do now. It looks like i might have to find a way to boot up the HD and run XP off of it and copy the files off of the account, but I really don't want to do this, is there any other way? Secondly, if i was to boot up XP from the HD, would i be able to do it through USB 2.0 or would i have to open up somebody's desktop and boot it up from there?

Thanks!

Jon

Addendum:

THANKS

Your advice worked, i had been on that site before but it did not tell me to click the replace all subfolders option and i tried it this time and it worked. I got all of my outlook back!

Thanks!

Jon

Last edited:

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Hello Jon,

Glad that the ownership trick worked. Most of the time when you get a access denied that is why.

Also i just edited that post to include the info about taking ownership of sub folders. Thanks for letting me know it wasnt included. :smile:

If you have anymore questions, comments or concerns please stop on back. We will be more than glad to help out.

Cheers,
Mak

Last edited: