Need help with repair/reinstall of Vista

jh3000

presario C710 Laptop System has become flaky in normal boot, and restore only goes back a day, and I needed to go back more.

System boots, and then "thinks" forever when I go to click on something. Seems to work ok in safe mode, so thought I would try repair via reinstall

As a result I am trying to repair vista through reinstall, avoiding "factory reset" from HP.

Problem I am facing is getting vista recovery disks that do more than that complete reset of system(what hp oem recovery disks want to do).

Can I use the neosmart vista iso on a system with SP1? Meaning, How old is that ISO and does it include SP1? I know I need a version same as or newer than mine for reinstall to work(I have 6.0.6001 SP1).

Second, is there a way to run a reinstall in vista from safe mode or a from boot to disk, as my regular bootup into windows is too flaky to use outside of safe mode.

Is there any other alternative I am overlooking short of a Windows 7 upgrade or complete wipe via oem recovery disks for repairing vista (startup repair didn't help and restore only went back one day...not far enough), besides what I had mentioned above?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Our recovery disc cannot be used to re-install Windows. Only used for recovery purposes of a non-booting system.

Sounds like your computer just needs to be cleaned up. Go to start and type in "msconfig" into the search box than enter > startup tab and disable everything except for the basics such as your security software.

Next go to start and type "disk cleanup" into the search box, press enter. Follow the instructions to get rid of older files you don't need anymore.

Lastly, run "disk defragmenter" 2-3 times.

If by cleaned up you mean that you think that there must be a lot of processes running, that really is not the case.

There is actually not a lot installed in this computer, biggest problem would be HP oem installed junk, some of which has been uninstalled.

This is a problem that started suddenly in the last few days, so there is probably an application interferring with windows, but I don't know what, and running msconfig like that is only a temporary fix.

I should note that I already ran msconfig and stopped most processes and it did not resolve issue.

Last edited:
As Jus said, our ISO contains no installation files.
Even with a full MS Vista DVD, there is no "repair install" on Vista like there was with XP
Have you checked the event log for an indication of what's happening when it's "flaky" ?

Not much help to you now, I know, but in future you need to allocate more space to system restore with the VSSAdmin command.
That will enable you to go back further in time when you get this sort of problem.

Last edited:
I think maybe I was unclear in what I am trying to do. In reality, I would be doing an install, not just repair, however an upgrade install can work as a repair in the sense that you can keep previous settings and software installs.

I have seen posts in several tech sites regarding using original vista install dvd to reinstall windows without deleting previous settings. It may do a full install, but apparently by doing an "upgrade" install you can often repair system without reverting to factory settings, like most oem versions.

The issue once again is the version of vista being used to reinstall and if it includes SP1 or not, which has not been answered with regards to the neosmart ISO

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

I am also open to any other suggestions on how to do fix this.

The issue once again is the version of vista being used to reinstall and if it includes SP1 or not, which has not been answered with regards to the neosmart ISO

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

I am also open to any other suggestions on how to do fix this.
Like already mentioned in this thread, the neosmart recovery disk cannot be used for reinstalls. Use the Vista disk you already have to reinstall Vista.
By the sounds of it, you have some kind of virus that's bogging down your system. You could probably install some junk to uninstall that junk if you want to go to all that work, but in cases like this, sometimes a reinstall is best. As to whether or not it'll keep your previous settings or not, though, is anybody's guess.

Back