Need some BSOD Help/Information

MarkMcK

I won't go into the extended details [yet], but I have a Windows machine giving me some 'challenges'. Was originally [about 4 years ago] set up with two XP OS installations on a single hard drive. One of the XP OS's was fairly 'clean' and was a bare bones installation that I used occasionally for audio/video editing. The other was for day-to-day email and internet use. I've had trouble in the past with boot managers and decided to forgo that for just editing the partition table directly and setting the partitions active/boot/hidden as needed to switch back and forth [which was not too often]. Worked fine for me, kept the two XP installations cleanly separated. Then came my update to Win 7 for my 'day-to-day' XP installation. From the Win 7 disk pointed the installation to the proper Disk and Partition. From there I formatted the partition and the install went fine [pretty much]. At the time couldn't figure out how to get my 'new' Win 7 and XP AV installations to switch back/forth during boot. Could never get the XP partition to boot up [this was before I found my way here and EasyBCD]. Kept getting STOP C000021A right after the Windows XP 'Splash' screen. Gave up on that.

Recently I dug out my XP Pro Installation disk to see what I could find out about my long-lost XP partition. From Win 7 OS I set the XP partition as Active/Boot and hid the Win 7 partition, inserted the XP disk in the drive and rebooted the computer. After all the usual DVD startup activity got to 'Windows Setup' and 'Starting Windows'. At that point I got a STOP 0x0000007B BSOD. Not sure what to make of this unless the XP Windows Setup is 'seeing' something from either the Win 7 install/partition or XP partition that it's not happy with... I thought the XP install disk would be pretty much bomb proof for most things.

Thanks for any help/information that can be sent my way

Terry,

Thanks for that! I'll run thru that and do a little more research on the topic. Wonder if/how my Win7 install might have had an effect? More later...

Back