Need To Always Boot Into Drive Letter "C"

caxtin

Thought I have seen this before. With a dual boot, can I always have the OS that is been boot into boot with drive letter "C"? If possible, could someone please point me to where to do the setting during EasyBCD set up.
Thanks!

Caxtin, you can't retrospectively change the drive letter that Windows assigned itself during setup.
It will default to "C" if you install Windows from a booted installation medium (DVD or flashdrive), but it can't default to C if you run setup (on the DVD or flashdrive) by invoking the setup.exe from an already running copy of Windows, because that running copy is already calling itself C and can't use any letter twice.
Once installation is finished, Windows has set itself to a letter which cannot then be altered (It occurs a thousand or so times somewhere in the registry) e.g. when the boot process is locating all of the drivers for the installed hardware.
In theory you could search the registry for every occurance of "x" (your drive letter) and alter them all to C individually (or find a utility program which will do bulk registry changes) but in the time taken it's probably faster to reinstall the OS.
EasyBCD makes changes to the entries in the BCD, not the registry. If you change anything in there to anything other than the correct letter, you'll just make your PC unbootable.

Back