Need to change a partition to NTFS

wnlewis

I'm attempting to install Windows 7 on a Mac Pro running High Sierra. High Sierra has Boot Camp.

I found out, after formatting the SSD, that I chose the wrong format for the Windows 7 partition. So, when Windows 7 Professional tries to install, it does not find any NTFS partitions. It asks me to install the correct drivers to allow that to be done.

Will EasyBCD enable me to do that?

If it will I plan to buy a copy.

Thanks for any help.

EasyBCD is free for home use, but it manages the contents of the BCD in Longhorn Windows partitions,
It's not a partition manager, though a web search should easily locate you a free bootable partition manager which will do what you need.

Thanks! I will check on that.
EasyBCD is free for home use, but it manages the contents of the BCD in Longhorn Windows partitions,
It's not a partition manager, though a web search should easily locate you a free bootable partition manager which will do what you need.

Finding Windows SSD drivers for a MAC will be harder than you think. I'm pretty sure Apple did everything they could to ensure that Windows will NEVER run on their hardware. It sure can't hurt to try, though. I have more than one program (Windows) that brute force installs windows (that are NOT Windows setup) onto any partition you want, made for installing to USB flash drives. You might be able to find something similar for mac. I'm actually running Windows from my flash drive right now while I wait for a replacement for my hard drive that burned out on me a few days ago. I don't actually have a hard drive at all right now. It works surprisingly well. If I were in the same room with you, I'd whip out the flash drive, and plug it right in that mac, and we would know for sure if Windows will run on it. You might be wasting your time.

Here is a tip, if you actually do need drivers, Windows setup won't be able to see the drives at all. Otherwise, it will see your mac disks as raw, unforrmatted disks, but it'll see them. In that case, you should be able to install on them, but you will loose your mac partition.

Last edited:
With regard to NTFS, that is something that I did in the install process of Windows 7; I just didn't know that that option was available, or how to find it.

I did get everything to install, but I had to learn quite a bit. The Mac Pro 5,1 will now boot to either High Sierra or Windows 7.

Boot Camp is an Icon on the Windows tool bar (?) along the bottom edge. It gives me the option of booting into Mac OS X from Windows.

It's not quite that smooth, since something is still messed up. I have to do the Option + Command + P + R, let it chime 2 times and then it goes into High Sierra.

I should be able to just click on that option in Windows and go to Mac after reboot. Or, alternatively, I should be able to push (and hold) on the Option key and then get a couple of drive images that I can choose - one Mac and one the Boot Camp Windows 7

More learning to do.
Finding Windows SSD drivers for a MAC will be harder than you think. I'm pretty sure Apple did everything they could to ensure that Windows will NEVER run on their hardware. It sure can't hurt to try, though. I have more than one program (Windows) that brute force installs windows (that are NOT Windows setup) onto any partition you want, made for installing to USB flash drives. You might be able to find something similar for mac. I'm actually running Windows from my flash drive right now while I wait for a replacement for my hard drive that burned out on me a few days ago. I don't actually have a hard drive at all right now. It works surprisingly well. If I were in the same room with you, I'd whip out the flash drive, and plug it right in that mac, and we would know for sure if Windows will run on it. You might be wasting your time.

Here is a tip, if you actually do need drivers, Windows setup won't be able to see the drives at all. Otherwise, it will see your mac disks as raw, unforrmatted disks, but it'll see them. In that case, you should be able to install on them, but you will loose your mac partition.

Back