NeoGrub existing ubuntu installation

grubby

hi all,
I have been trying to use easybcd to access an existing linux installation on its own drive... previously I was using grub to boot both vista and linux - but having installed windows 7 - grub is no longer on the primary boot disk.
If i change the boot order of my drives, such that linux is the boot drive grub loads and I am able to boot into my linux instllation successfully... however, I have tried to use easybcd to specify that I have a grub installation on my linux drive... which failed... each partition of the linux drive did not allow me to boot in.... I am now trying to use NeoGrub.... looks good - however, all the options I try here fail also... for example running find/ boot/grub/stage1 from within my linux instllation (by changing boot order) returns (hd2,4) - when I try to set this up in NeoGrub is returns are error after selecting it ... also if I choose to use the command line from the neogrub menu by selecting 'c' ... I am unable to find any results on any partition for find /boot/grub/stage1 ... One of the partitions 1 - on the hd2 returns that grub is unable to mount it ... can anyone help me get this working?
any help appreciated!

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member

grubby

hi Terry60,
thank you for the reply. I have ditched the 1.7 version and proceeded with 2.0 beta. I have ubuntu 9.10 and so have selected the grub2 option... it looks good ... however, when selecting this option from the windows boot menu... it shows the grub > prompt.

fortunately, it now allows me to run find /boot/grub/stage - and it returns hd(1,4) - excellent.

however... it does not boot straight into linux.

additionally, it allows me to manuall specify the root (hd1,4) and also the correct kernel and initrd...
but following a boot it eventually halts saying that it waited to long...

please help? it seems very close now - but just a tad off

any help greatly appreciated

Coolname007

(hd1,4) is the first (or possibly only) logical (not primary) partition on the second HDD in the BIOS boot sequence. I don't know, but it could be if you reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10 to a primary partition on that HDD, and used the advanced option to install Grub to the Linux partition, instead of to the MBR, then used EasyBCD->Grub2 again, it would boot.