NeoGrub trouble

pela020

I had a working Ubuntu installation on my second HDD and second partition. Now I have installed Vista on the first HDD. I have installed EasyBCD 1.6 and then I have installed NeoGrub. When I boot I only get an errormessage that says "GRUB GRUB Hard Disk Error"
My C:\NST\menu.lst looks like:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This NeoGrub menu.lst file should be located at \NST\menu.lst of the boot drive.
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=a68ffb57-e322-4797-9c6a-56684a745e76 ro quiet splash locale=sv_SE
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

and my menu.lst from the Ubuntu Installation looks like:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=a68ffb57-e322-4797-9c6a-56684a745e76 ro quiet splash locale=sv_SE
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

what am I doing wrong or have I missed something?

NeoGrub is VERY tempramental, due to the nature of the NTFS filesystem's closed-source API and components.

Defragment your hard drive, uninstall and then reinstall NeoGrub.

EasyBCD 1.61 MAY address this issue.

Good luck.

If this doesn't work, go back to the tried-and-tested method of installing GRUB to the Ubuntu Bootsector, then installing it from the Add/Remove->Linux/BSD section instead.

Cheers :smile:

Ok, thanks. I will try that. Could the fact that the disk with Ubuntu on it has both Linux swap, NTFS and EXT3 on it cause trouble?

No, that shouldn't be a problem.

The only filesystems that cause issues with NeoGrub are ReiserFS, JFS, and XFS.

You're welcome, glad it worked.

I'll drop you a PM or an email when .61 is ready for testing :smile:

Back