networking problem

crazy933

the other day I set up a connection, a shared connection, to get my sons laptop on-line. I have since then deleted that connection because I have his wireless working on the home wireless network. Now my problem is, i CAN get on the internet via wirelss (home network), I can see other computers on the network, but when I try to look at them and access files I get the message that i don't have permission. when i go on the other laptops and desktops I can access shared files on the laptop with the problem. all the other laptops and desktop are working flawlessly. I did not change any of my settings in my network and sharing. everything is set to on. I am able to ping the desktop. I diasbled internet connection sharing. so I can get online it seems like a one way problem, the other computers can come into the problem laptop but i cant get out. Also when i'm on the network screen, i can see this laptop but even clicking on it i get the same message as if i click on any other computer. all computers are in the same workgroup.

what would cause other computers in the workgroup to be able access the shared files on this laptop (the one with the problem) but this laptop cannot access theirs? the other computers in the workgroup can all get along nicely and see each others files. Ive hav no problems the past 2 to three years with this workgroup. also when I open go to Start, Network, and click on this laptops name I get the same error message. also i am no longer able to map a network drive when I select the computer name i want to access to view the shared drives i get the same error message, I also cannot even select this computer when I try to map a network drive.

Either one of two things are going on:
  • A firewall (either on the local computer or the remote computers) are blocking the connection.
  • You don't have the Everyone permission set or you have permissions that restrict everyone, so the machine you're using needs to have an account that has been allowed access with the same username/password and you need to be logged into that account.
I'm thinking its the first one, since everythings working fine on your other computers.

the other day I set up a connection, a shared connection, to get my sons laptop on-line. I have since then deleted that connection because I have his wireless working on the home wireless network. Now my problem is, i CAN get on the internet via wirelss (home network), I can see other computers on the network, but when I try to look at them and access files I get the message that i don't have permission. when i go on the other laptops and desktops I can access shared files on the laptop with the problem. all the other laptops and desktop are working flawlessly. I did not change any of my settings in my network and sharing. everything is set to on. I am able to ping the desktop. I diasbled internet connection sharing. so I can get online it seems like a one way problem, the other computers can come into the problem laptop but i cant get out. Also when i'm on the network screen, i can see this laptop but even clicking on it i get the same message as if i click on any other computer. all computers are in the same workgroup.

what would cause other computers in the workgroup to be able access the shared files on this laptop (the one with the problem) but this laptop cannot access theirs? the other computers in the workgroup can all get along nicely and see each others files. Ive hav no problems the past 2 to three years with this workgroup. also when I open go to Start, Network, and click on this laptops name I get the same error message. also i am no longer able to map a network drive when I select the computer name i want to access to view the shared drives i get the same error message, I also cannot even select this computer when I try to map a network drive.

Use windows cd to create sharing and create sharing under the same workgroup name and in the same way on all of your shared computers. hope this resolves the problem.

if the firewall on this laptop was the problem then why, when i open up network and I see the computers on the network, and I try to select this latop, I still get the same error.

If you're having problems accessing your own computer you can try reconfiguring file/printer sharing. Check the firewall to make sure that your network IP range is in the trusted list. Here's what it looks like inside McAfee for example:

picture.php

the error message looks like a windows window and is not a windows from Norton, I also looked ad my log from norton and there is nothing showing anything being blocked

my network printer had disappeared and when i try to install a network printer i am told that no printers were found. the printer is shared (on the desktop computer) and i am still getting the same message when i try to access a shared network drive.

Back