New M$ Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000

Who knows. It is one of those mysterious M$ things. NumLock without a keypad...no bluetooth support for Vista..ya know. Just what M$ does best. :grinning:

LOL........ by the way, noone answered my very first question. Why does this keyboard have a numlock when it has no numeric keypad....I thought you only needed one with the other?
Does the right-hand-side of the keyboard double-up as a numpad if numlock is on? That's what my laptop does, and it doesn't have a numpad either.....

If it does I haven't the faintest idea how that would work and there's sweet nothing as far as instructions go, naturally.

By the way I have not been receiving email notifications for any answers lately, except for one post only yesterday.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'll never know about the numlock. M$ newsgroups aren't answering either. I've decided a Microsoft warranty is worthless as far as csutomer support goes.
Now I've discovered another quirk. If I plug in my U3 usb drive the mouse (only) stops working until next reboot. If I plug in my Canon camera it also stops working for the duration that the camera is connected....why on Earth would usb applications interfere with Bluetooth? By the way, all through this the mouse remains connected in the Bluetooth devices window.

I'm not sure, but I can think of several causes...

Too much power being drawn on the USB lines, the PSU can't keep up.
Conflict of IRQ resources (what does the device manager show when that happens?)
Old bluetooth drivers?

Is your bluetooth a USB key or a built-in?

Well, panic over and sorry to trouble you. The second time I went through this same thing everything worked just fine.
It must have been because it was the first time I'd inserted the USB drive and attached the phone in this particular installation.
Sorry!!

:nerd:

P.S. Still not getting email notifications of posts.

Last edited:
Does the right-hand-side of the keyboard double-up as a numpad if numlock is on? That's what my laptop does, and it doesn't have a numpad either.....

CG, as my mother used to tell me "you can't see for looking!!!!" or "there are none so blind as those who will not see"!!

You are right, there is a numeric keypad built in.

To activate NUMLOCK it's Fn - 6 (I had already discovered that one).
Then use the Fn - JKLUIO789M in that order for 1234567890 ...despite my new glasses I never spotted those little numbers in the corner of those keys. There are also a few symbols on other keys activated the same way.
<sigh></sigh>
:??:booyah::tongueout:oint:

I live and I learn....the hard way...LOL

Another thing that isn't mentioned in the manual at all but appears in the Intellitype/Point modules (see pic)
BT.jpg

but I will eventually figure that out too.

The help files say:

Advanced Bluetooth settings

If you have a Microsoft Bluetooth transceiver, you can choose whether the wireless connection is managed by the software or by the hardware.
Changing Advanced Bluetooth settings
  1. Start IntelliType Pro.
  2. On the Key Settings tab, make sure that the correct Microsoft keyboard model name appears. The keys that are available for customization depend on the model name that is selected. To select a different keyboard, click Update, select the correct keyboard, and then click OK.
  3. Select the Wireless tab.
  4. Under Bluetooth, click Advanced.
Bluetooth mode
When to use this mode
Software-managed Bluetooth mode
Use this mode when you share a keyboard between multiple computers.

The software is configured automatically each time you start the computer. You can move your keyboard and the Microsoft transceiver to another computer without installing the software or reconfiguring the device.
Hardware-managed Bluetooth mode
Use this mode when you use your keyboard with one computer.

Your transceiver behaves like a standard Bluetooth radio when you start your computer and results in no delay.

Last edited:
I think this is to address your old problem with a bluetooth device not working with different computers/multi-boots - but I could be (and most probably am) wrong.

Back