New Program Idea

Coolname007

Distinguished Member
Here you go, CG or Justin. :smile: Your next program assignment.
I’m looking for a program in which you can load images of your choosing, and show them in a thumbnail-type style in the main part of the program’s window. Then, there needs to a feature where I can hit a button and it goes to full screen, and runs all of the images I loaded into it in the order that I specified beforehand (or if I so choose, to run them in a random sequence that the program picks by itself, and is different each time) in a presentation-style/screensaver type thing. Not only that, but there needs to be some kind of feature that allows you to specify how long each image is to displayed before going to the next one in the sequence.
Also, there needs to be a built-in talking dictionary, so I can create my own phrases and sentences easily from any of the words in the dictionary’s database, and have the computer play them back for me in sync with the image that that is being displayed in the screensaver, i.e. so that the words shown in the image match what’s being said at that point in time. Easier than having to manually record my voice, and sync it with the images being cycled through by the program. :grinning:

What’s it for?

Well, I’ve discovered my mind tends to remember more of what *is seen visually*, and not only that, but remembers it better when I see the same something over and over again, in a “flash card” type thing. In other words, things I see visually and repeatedly tend to stick in my mind better than things I hear. The reason I need a program like this is I really need to learn something (actually a couple of somethings) soon, and not forget it, and having something like this, I believe, would ensure that it sticks in my memory, so I don’t have to think about it consciously to remember it, but it would come naturally. In short, I guess you can call it a program for forgetful minds. :unamused:

See the attached diagram to get a better idea of what I have in mind. Note that the image area should be able to fit more than 3 image thumbnails (that’s only an example), and should there be too many to fit inside the visible part of the window, there should be a scroll bar on the right side of the screen to scroll down if necessary, like on most apps. The menu bar should contain all of the necessary menus needed to include the features I mentioned above, such as a ‘File’ menu, an ‘Edit’ menu, etc. Also, it would be nice if the program could save the whole project to file, so it can be accessed later (after the app is closed and re-opened), and have the ability to convert the finished product into some type of video format, so it can be played by other applications if so desired.

Jake

Attachments

• Diagram for program.JPG
    Diagram for program.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ummm. can't the built in image viewer in Windows do half of this? For the other half PowerPoint (Maybe Oo Impress?) allows you to do narration, randomize the slides, set specific times for each, and so forth.

Its not a bad idea, I just already see other ways of accomplishing the task. If I do it though, this well definetly take a lot longer to build than Date Spoofer...

Ummm. can't the built in image viewer in Windows do half of this? For the other half PowerPoint (Maybe Oo Impress?) allows you to do narration, randomize the slides, set specific times for each, and so forth.

Its not a bad idea, I just already see other ways of accomplishing the task. If I do it though, this well definetly take a lot longer to build than Date Spoofer...

Well, I am aware that Powerpoint and such can do things like that, but I'd rather something a little more simpler (and still, that talking dictionary feature would be nice...:brows:smile:. I am also aware of how long it might take, but I'm not worried. :wink: Just as long as it gets done, is all...I'm willing to wait. As for the built-in image viewer, I don't think it can do all the things I want out of the program.

Jake

Well, we can start by coming up with a name for it :smile:

I can't guarantee at the moment that it well be done (CG's input of course if he's interested), but I well do some more researching. I'm assuming you'd want the ability built into the application to make recording for your narration and not haft to import in after using the sound recorder...

Addendum:

remembers it better when I see the same something over and over again, in a “flash card” type thing. In other words, things I see visually and repeatedly tend to stick in my mind better than things I hear. The reason I need a program like this is I really need to learn something (actually a couple of somethings) soon, and not forget it, and having something like this, I believe, would ensure that it sticks in my memory, so I don’t have to think about it consciously to remember it, but it would come naturally. In short

Ok, you said you need the program soon. If I were to do this, how soon would that be? I notice you'd like flash card format, like studying for something in a test/study format. If you'd like, I can send a copy of Test Readiness Tool (TRT) discussed in the .net thread your way. It doesn't have the ability to store images or narration (yet... working on the next version :smile:), but you can create multiple choice tests and have it randomally quiz you.

Last edited:
Well, we can start by coming up with a name for it :smile:

I can't guarantee at the moment that it well be done (CG's input of course if he's interested), but I well do some more researching. I'm assuming you'd want the ability built into the application to make recording for your narration and not haft to import in after using the sound recorder...
Well, my idea is to have some kind of thing built in that can recognize most (if not all) common words you type in (kind of like a talking dictionary...), and actually speak the words. I don't know how you would accomplish this feat (maybe you could record your voice for instance saying a couple of words, and the program would be able to take that example, and create a voice that can speak *any* of the words you type in, no matter what word it is, if I'm making any sense...). In other words, the whole objective of that part of the program would be to take any words you type in (beforehand) and convert it into audible speech that will play when the images are cycled through, so the user wouldn't have to actually record his own voice, and then play it back (and attempt to sync it with the images being played).

I imagine there might already exist some kind of talking dictionary on the net, and if you could somehow incorporate it into the program, and add the auto-syncing ability that I mentioned before, it would be great. :wink:
Addendum:

Ok, you said you need the program soon. If I were to do this, how soon would that be? I notice you'd like flash card format, like studying for something in a test/study format. If you'd like, I can send a copy of Test Readiness Tool (TRT) discussed in the .net thread your way. It doesn't have the ability to store images or narration (yet... working on the next version :smile:), but you can create multiple choice tests and have it randomally quiz you.
Well, I would of course want it as soon as you can make it (I'm willing to help test it, btw), but don't feel rushed. I actually have a few months time to learn what I'm trying to learn, so there's plenty of time. Whenever you can get it out (if you're willing to work on the program at all of course), it would be awesome. :smile: As for the TRT you mentioned, sure, I would love to get a copy sent my way, though from the description it doesn't sound exactly like what I'm looking for in this program. To clarify, it is not any kind of multiple choice test, but rather something I just need to remember and stick in my memory (but I do need to learn it in order to pass a kind of test...:wink:).

Cheers,

Jake

EDIT: And the name can be something like "Easy Memory Sticker" since its supposed to help one learn things quicker. :brows:

Addendum:

BTW, why was my thread moved to the Water Cooler forum? :wtf: Doesn't it qualify as an idea and should be posted in the Ideas and Wishlists forum? :lol:

Last edited:
It was in the water cooler when I first replied. If it was moved I never saw it, but hey, I guess this qualifies...

Easy Memory Sticker... not sure about that one...

I believe I can make the program do what you want (ie reading by typed text) but I don't know how computer like its gonna sound. At least with your own voice there is no mispronounced material or hard to understand computer voice talking to you.

Edit: Guess it was moved :smile: Well i'm sure thats probably because a) you got me talking to you about developing it and b) its not really a program a lot of people coming here would be interested in or a feature that could be added to an existing nst project.

Last edited:
It was in the water cooler when I first replied. If it was moved I never saw it, but hey, I guess this qualifies...

Easy Memory Sticker... not sure about that one...

I believe I can make the program do what you want (ie reading by typed text) but I don't know how computer like its gonna sound. At least with your own voice there is no mispronounced material or hard to understand computer voice talking to you.

Well, I don't much care what kind of voice it is...:lol: Computer voice, digital voice, human voice, monkey voice (do monkeys even have a voice?), they all work for me, just as long as it speaks English as that is the only language I know. :brows:
About the name...that was just a suggestion. If you have a better name, then by all means use it. :wink:

Jake

Alright... like said before I'll look into the feasability of embarking on the project and let you know if any developments take place.

Slideshow! That's the word I was looking for, but couldn't think of before for some reason. :smile: Not "screensaver"...that was the wrong word. The program needs to be able to play a slideshow of sorts with the images loaded into it. And do you think it would be too much trouble to add in some of the neat slide transition effects that Powerpoint has? :wink: Or would that be too much hassle? Like I mentioned before, I want the program to be as simple as possible, but it *would* be neat if you could somehow work in some of the slide effects that Powerpoint has. But if that's too much to ask, never mind...
A simple cycling through the images like the built-in Windows "View as a slideshow" feature does would work, if the above thing I mentioned is too hard.

Jake

Last edited:
The ideas forum is only for official NST stuff. This is more of a custom request so it belongs in the Water Cooler :smile:

The ideas forum is only for official NST stuff. This is more of a custom request so it belongs in the Water Cooler :smile:

Ok...well, maybe you should say something about that then under "Ideas and Wishlists" instead of just saying:

Is there a program you want to see made? A paid-program you would rather be free? A whitepaper on a certain topic?? Post away!
I think there needs to be something in there saying that the forum is only for "official NST stuff", because what it says now gives no clue of that. :tongueout: It gave me the wrong idea, and made me think it could an idea for *any* program (not just for an official NST one).

Jake

Last edited:
Well, technically anything that's part of the NST site itself (including those words) is implicitly assumed to be "for NST" but I see what you mean.

No harm done :smile:

Ok, I got an idea on how you could get the computer to read typed text out loud. :wink: Just figure out a way to incorporate the built-in Microsoft feature located at Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View>Speech in XP, into the program, because "Microsoft Sam" can do exactly the kind of thing I have in mind, i.e. convert typed text into spoken speech. :brows: Of course, though, there would need to be a way to have the program auto-sync the words being spoken with the images being displayed, at time of the slideshow, and so that would require the ability to type the words beforehand, and to save the audio file, so that it can be played back while the slideshow is being played.

Jake

Back