new to dual booting and easybcd

I run vista ultimate successfully on my pc and today i added a new hard drive and used norton ghost to place an image of windows xp on to it. I have installed easybcd and now when i boot my system there is a menu option to boot either vista or xp. Vista works fine but XP will not work. Does anyone have a solution?, a step by step instruction? or general help?

Hi Thomas Robertson. Welcome to NST.
See the links in my sig below to get a better grasp on things.
What it basically comes down to is this: putting your XP boot files (boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com) into the correct location (i.e. the root of the "system" partition as shown from Disk Management), and then pointing the boot.ini back at the XP partition, and pointing the entry in the BCD at the "system" partition that contains the boot files. :wink:
Try EasyBCD 2.0 Beta instead of whatever version of Easy you're currently using. It has an auto-config for boot.ini that pretty much automates the whole process.

Cheers, and good luck. Let us know if you have any more problems.

-Coolname007

I dont know enough about this stuff

I have just downloaded and installed the latest beta version of EASYBCD however i dont know enough about this stuff...Does anyone have a step by step instuctions so i can dual boot

Re-Add your XP entry or go to Tools and select the option to auto-configure your boot.ini file.

I have just downloaded and installed the latest beta version of EASYBCD however i dont know enough about this stuff...Does anyone have a step by step instuctions so i can dual boot

Yeah, if you had looked at the links shown in my sig, which I advised to do in Post #2, you would have found this thread where I describe the step-by-step process for dual-booting.

Please read it and follow the advice there, and you will soon have a working dual-boot.

-Coolname007

Back