newbie needs a help?

simon15

just downloaded easyBCD to my new W7 computer which has my old Vista HD installed in it also. I can now boot into my old system to use my old programs - great! One thing I dont seem to be able to do ( & I realise this may be nothing to do with easyBCB) is to get online while I am in the old HD. Should this be possible?

Thanks in advance,
& I have made a donation!

Simon

You're pretty lucky that Vista boots at all if it comes unchanged from a different PC. Its driver set will reflect the hardware it was installed on.
Have a look in Device Manager and reinstall all the drivers that are marked with a yellow !
I'd assume that your LAN might be one that's affected. If Vista's driverstore doesn't have the right drivers, try pointing at W7's. (Windows\System32\Driverstore)
If Vista came pre-installed on an old PC, it will have an OEM license tying it to the original hardware.
If so, first time you use Windows Update, you'll probably get bounced with a "Not Genuine" message.

Last edited:
If it's a full MS retail Vista DVD (not an OEM recovery version), then ignore my OEM warning. You can do what you like with Vista as regards location, provided it's no longer in use on a previous PC and it should have a full set of drivers available.
Yes I meant from inside Vista. When it's booted, check Device Manager for warnings and take the appropriate action till everything is clean and tidy.
Hopefully it will then become fully functional.

Last edited:
ok, Ill try that, thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

just tried all that but when I click update driver I get a message saying it is up to date but cannot start due to code 10? there is a yellow warning at network connection card

somebody told me the device is not there anymore ( cos the HD has been taken from my old computer!) so that wont work. What Id need to happen is some way for the old HD to connect to the internet via the new network card within the new machine?

Exactly.
Right click the device in Device Manager and select "uninstall".
That will remove the reference to the old card, and the new one in the current PC should be detected instead when you boot.

Back