No OS Select? On Restart

sk8punk49

Hi there, trying to dual boot vista 32bit and xp pro. anyway i got your lastest build (2.0)

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Microsoft Windows Vista
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: F:\

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {4e0196ff-c0b7-11de-9e90-002215278ec1}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

But when i restart my computer, by default it just loads xp. As in no boot menu appears :frowning: little help plz

Hi punk, welcome to NST.
Have you got the correct HDD first in the BIOS boot sequence ?

yes i am pretty sure

Addendum:

SOLVED!!! what i did was Reinstall Vista Bootloader (write MBR). Booted Up Vista. (at this point i got boot menu on restart, but XP didnt load due to \NTLDR 0xc00000f) Once vista booted, i put my XP cd disk in and copyed the follow files to the XP directory:
boot.ini
NTDETECT
NTLDR

I now get boot menu on restart and both os work and boot fine. thx for the support. hope this helps anyone who has similar problem :grinning:

Last edited:
Glad your problem was solved.
Let us know if you have any more issues.

For future reference, EasyBCD 2.0 creates (and auto-configures) those files automatically in the "system" active partition (as seen from Disk Management), which was apparently your XP partition in your case, when you add an XP entry to the BCD. Actually, on second thought, since you said you were using 2.0 Beta, it sounds like you had the XP HDD first in the boot sequence instead of Vista's, which explains why repairing the Vista MBR, and copying the XP boot files to XP's own partition worked. But the problem could have been solved by simply adjusting the boot order in the BIOS, and putting the Vista disk first. Oh well...

Back