No problem upgrading to Win 10 but

Jim Walker

Distinguished Member
No problems so far after upgrading to Win 10.

Warning the default Express settings are to be avoided. I had to laugh as I turned each one off.

Express.jpg

Above are defaults. I left a few on. Sharing network passwords is interesting. I would have never thought of:
Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/
"Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends."

Last edited:
I should have read that before I upgraded my Win 8.1. It said all was well, drivers up to scratch and the only casualty would be my Media Center. It didn't mention my sanity. Thank God I multi-boot, am in 7 right now. It became stuck on the login screen and I had to hard power off which sent the system into a paroxysm of chkdsk on each and every partition, and I have many...groan. Am now going to attempt to boot into it once more, but I think I'll start with Safe Mode first....LOL

Last edited:
I could only get in Safe Mode as regular flashed on and off constantly and that was with preinstalled Win 10 drivers for graphics....so fortunately it has a reverse gear (Advanced Recovery Options), so to speak and I returned to 8.1 in just a few minutes.

I could only get in Safe Mode as regular flashed on and off constantly and that was with preinstalled Win 10 drivers for graphics....so fortunately it has a reverse gear (Advanced Recovery Options), so to speak and I returned to 8.1 in just a few minutes.

Since drives are now big and cheap, it is nice that the old OS is saved in Windows.old folder on C:.

How to make Wi-Fi Sense safe
http://www.komando.com/tips/318802/...utomatically-sharing-your-wi-fi-with-others/3

"If you don't want someone automatically logged in to your Wi-Fi, there are a few options. The best option is to turn Wi-Fi Sense off from the beginning.

When you first install Windows 10, choose the "Custom" install so it takes you through all the setup options. Turn off anything related to sharing your information or logging into Wi-Fi networks automatically.

If you jumped over these options during install, you can turn off Wi-Fi Sense later." ** more at link **

Back