[Not a Bug] iReboot Startup Issue In Windows 7

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Periodically in my Windows 7 beta (build 7000) iReboot fails to start with the attached pop-up. It will start manually afterwards, however.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 9
Your firewall must be blocking that port. But why iReboot needs to connect to a local port just to do stuff is beyond me...

Have you tried compatibility mode for it?

In Windows 7 there aren't very many compatible software firewalls yet so I'm using Windows Firewall with both outgoing and incoming protection enabled. (It's enhanced in Windows 7). Also I'm using an application called Vista Firewall Control which simplifies the configuration of WF.
iReboot has full permissions incoming and outgoing.
I've just gone to the .exe and made it run in compatability mode with Vista. I'll see how that acts for the next day or so.

Addendum:

Addendum:

So far so good. Just did a reboot and no error. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
That error usually means that an attempt has been made to access the iReboot menu and the iReboot service had not yet started.

I would guess something to do with the new taskbar is calling the iReboot menu immediately on boot :S

Anything I can do or just grin and bear it? I haven't yet got around to booting into W7 yet, will try shortly.

Addendum:

Well I've rebooted 3 times now and it hasn't recurred so perhaps making it run in compatibility with Vista helped?
I know anything goes with beta OS's so am not expecting perfection.
The only major bug I have and the Seven Forums can't figure out, is that sometimes it will boot up in a sort of dead state....desktop, background & icons are all there except some by the clock and task manager is empty, no processes and the graphs are empty plus right-click balloons start off very faintly. I then have to switch users to the Admin and back and that cures that.
The joys of beta testing!!

Last edited:
I seem to remember that this happened in the early days with iR and CG had to put in a "wait-a-while" to stop iR initialising before the service had started. (This is all from the depths of my memory, not being an iR user since adopting HnS - later edit I found the original discussion start point)
Why W7 should resurrect it I wouldn't know. Perhaps W7 is so much quicker that the wait needs to be extended ?

This might also be relevant

Last edited:
Windows 7 is quicker in many respects. I've allowed iReboot through Windows Firewall so hopefully it will be OK from now on in.

Thanks Terry.

What would the taskbar haft to do with launching iReboot before its service?
In regards to waiting, couldn't you set up the program to start the service itself if case need be?

There was a problem with UAC Jus that made iR unusable. The service was a circumvention, and it must be running before iR starts to avoid the problem.

I get that, but why the program couldn't run the service if stopped during its load routine...
I've never played with the ServiceController object in .net. Maybe you can't, but if you can wouldn't this fix that problem?

Edit:

Unless this service is what gives iReboot UAC-free access...

Guess there might be a problem with the way W7 schedules tasks or starts services. I don't imagine a iReboot user would boot into Windows and almost immediately use it to reboot. By the time Peter wanted to use iReboot, I'm sure the service had more than ample time to start.

Last edited:
Justin, all that is accounted for in the program architecture.

iReboot doesn't attempt to talk to the service (which gives it a UAC-bypass) unless you try to use iReboot. Basically, the first time you open the iReboot menu each session it will try to talk to the service.

So for some reason, the iReboot menu is being *queried* (fake-opened) in Windows 7 with Peter at startup... and the service isn't yet running.

Vista/W7 have a auto delayed start service setting so it might have been set to that. I know by default most .net apps don't need UAC when their loading.

In a nutshell at what I'm getting at here, Is there a way you could have it initially start with standard permission and be able to start the service before performing actions that would require elevation? Would starting an installed service require elevated permission?

Back