Not able to boot from 1 TB w8 HDD.

vsrawat

I have 1 TB HDD having w8
I have another 40GB HDD having w7.

When 1 TB HDD is selected as first hdd to boot from, it doesn't boot. There is some error message right at the start and nothing proceeds.

When 40 GB HDD is selected as first hdd to boot from, it duly proceeds to boot from w8, it shows w8/w7 boot choice, on selecting w8 (that is default also), it proceeds to boot w8. No problem. On selecting w7, it reboots and starts w7. No problem here also.

I am wondering why it goes to boot from 40 GB hdd and why can't it boot from 1 TB HDD?

How can I remedy it with EasyBCD so that it boots into w8 from 1 TB HDD.
EasyBCD shows the following
-
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 8
Timeout: 8 seconds
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 8
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {ca99d00f-2ba6-11e2-89ba-942ec86653f3}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
-

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Whenever you install Windows with another OS visible in an "active" partition, Microsoft will add the boot files from the installation into the partition of the existing system.
That's the only way they can automatically create a dual-boot.
If you don't want MS to create a dual-boot for you, make sure that you install the new system in a way that it cannot see another Windows, either by disconnecting other HDDs or making sure that other "active" flags are switched off till the installation is complete.
That way, every system has its own dedicated boot files.
You can use EasyBCD
Changing the Boot Partition - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
to copy the W8 boot files back onto W8's partition, but W8 has already replaced the W7 boot files on that disk with the newer versions, so if you wish to boot W7 with its own boot files and not W8's, you'll need to repair the W7 boot from the W7 DVD.
(There's no need to do so, it will boot perfectly happily from the W8 boot files)

have a look at the enclosed "disk management" shot.

I don't recall what I did at the time of installation, but today, the problem exists that I am dependent on both drives to be able to boot up. If I remove 40 GB I just can't boot into w8/w7. 40 GB is a decade old and might die any day and then I will not be able to boot up into w8 also even if 1TB is working strong and has full working w8.

So, I just want to remove this dependency on 40 GB to be able to boot up. I want to be able to be boot up into w8 even after i disconnect 40 GB.

Thanks.

Attachments

• diskmgmt.jpg
    diskmgmt.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2
Follow the link in the previous reply.
Don't forget to switch the BIOS HDD boot sequence to put the big disk first.
When you boot and see W8 is "active", "boot" and "system", you'll know you're successful.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings
"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

You didn't do anything special at the time of installation. That's why you're where you are now.
It's the default MS setup behaviour. You would have needed to take active measures to prevent it.
As explained previously.

Back