Not launching on XP

winbamstudios

I've been messing with an old Windows XP machine for a while, and it's in a quad boot config. (Peppermint OS 11, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and FreeDOS)
I am using grub, and my BCD boot menu still shows after booting Vista. The problem is, my BCD has been deleted, and EasyBCD will not launch from XP booted from grub.
HELP!

I just want to say that you can try to repair the boot configuration manually. To do this in Windows XP:

1. Boot from the Windows XP installation CD.
  2. Select "R" for Repair at the first setup screen.
  3. Select the Windows XP installation that you want to repair.
  4. Press "R" to enter the Recovery Console.
  5. Type the following command to recreate the boot.ini file: bootcfg /rebuild
  6. Type the following command to write the boot loader to the boot sector: fixboot
  7. Type exit to restart the computer.
If the manual repair process doesn't work, you can try using the bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disk to repair the boot loader:

1. Boot from the Windows Vista/7 installation disk.
  2. Select your language, time and currency format and keyboard input method.
  3. Click "Next."
  4. Click "Repair your computer."
  5. Select the operating system you want to repair.
  6. Click "Next."
  7. Click "System Recovery Options."
  8. Type the following command and press "Enter": bootrec.exe /fixmbr
  9. Type the following command and press "Enter": bootrec.exe /fixboot
  10. Type the following command and press "Enter": bootrec.exe /scanos
  11. Type the following command and press "Enter": bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
  12. Restart the computer.
If all the above steps do not work, you may have to reinstall the operating systems or restore the computer to its original factory settings. Subarunet

If you still need to use EasyBCD to manage your bootloader settings, you may need to reinstall it. Since you mentioned it won't launch from XP booted from Grub, you can try reinstalling it from within Windows Vista or Peppermint OS.

Remember to always back up important data before making changes to your bootloader or operating system configurations, as these operations can affect system bootability.

If you still need to use EasyBCD to manage your bootloader settings, you may need to reinstall it. Since you mentioned it won't launch from XP booted from Grub, you can try reinstalling it from within Windows Vista or Peppermint OS.

Remember to always back up important data before making changes to your bootloader or operating system configurations, as these operations can affect system bootability.

It sounds like you have a complex multi-boot configuration with multiple operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, and others, managed by GRUB as your bootloader. If you're experiencing issues with the Windows Boot Configuration Data (BCD) and you're unable to launch EasyBCD from Windows XP, you may need to manually edit the BCD or use alternative methods to configure your boot options.
www.MyAARPMedicare.com

XP doesn't use a BCD for booting so you must install EasyBCD on another partition. However you can add XP to that one.
See the guides here: EasyBCD (neosmart.net) pr search this section for posts regarding it.

Back