Notice...

Shockingly i did nothing. I unhooked the PC. Put everything in my truck and moved it here. Now they jsut do nto want to work. XP will not recognize the keyboard. Even though it is in the same USB port. Vista just crashes. Keyboard, sound and a couple of the other drivers are corrupt. At least i have Ubuntu. I can reinstall the other 2 later....

It feels good to be back on the net. :grinning:

So because of the driving a PC from one place to another, drivers got corrupted?

I guess Sarge. Maybe it is cause of the way i have things hooked up. Maybe i put a USB port in a different outlet or something. But They just do not want to work...

Windows also doesnt want to recogtnize my 2nd Monitor now and Ubuntu does, but the image shakes on screen...what is that about.

I think i destroyed my 2nd monitor...

Check that the move hasn't dislodged anything, wires, connectors, memory sticks, cards/boards etc. etc.

Reminds me of a friend who was ready to chuck his machine out of the window in despair until I took the case off and discovered that the battery had dislodged, which is bad enough, but it had landed on his video card and was shorting it out. Fortunately no permanent damage was done.

Last edited:
The funny thing is, my experience with Windows and Linux is the exact opposite. If I ever change the slightest thing in my hardware config (from as simple as switching around the locations of drives or PCI cards to as big as changing the motherboard) Linux will no longer boot, but Windows (via safe mode and a bunch of other workarounds) will come-to just fine.....

But in your case the hardware didn't actually change....

Check that the move hasn't dislodged anything, wires, connectors, memory sticks, cards/boards etc. etc.

Reminds me of a friend who was ready to chuck his machine out of the window in despair until I took the case off and discovered that the battery had dislodged, which is bad enough, but it had landed on his video card and was shorting it out. Fortunately no permanent damage was done.
I have opened the PC and reseated everything. Along with checking all the drives and the PSU cables. Everything is the way it was. :lup:
The funny thing is, my experience with Windows and Linux is the exact opposite. If I ever change the slightest thing in my hardware config (from as simple as switching around the locations of drives or PCI cards to as big as changing the motherboard) Linux will no longer boot, but Windows (via safe mode and a bunch of other workarounds) will come-to just fine.....

But in your case the hardware didn't actually change....

That is why this is so wierd. Nothing changed. Just some USB plugs in different ports. XP will not do anything it wont work with the keyboard anymore. No matter what place i plug it into. Vista gets to the desktop but crashes shortly afterwards cause of drivers conflict.

I know my 2nd monitor is gone. Windows doesnt recognize it and Ubuntu shakes with it. It is a CRT monitor. I think the video cable got jerked really hard and caused this. Meh forces me to get a new LCD. Widescreen. :grinning:

Well XP is fixed. A quick reinstall last night and she is rolling nicely. Just have to get like 3 more apps installed. The 2nd Monitor is working now as well. Have to figure out why it bounces in Ubuntu now...

I don't know Ubuntu, apart from an abortive attempt to install it ages ago, but maybe uninstall and reinstall the video driver...if it has one....?

In my case it was cable, try switching cables, both for power and PC connector and test. :evil:

Sadly i can't switch cables. It is a CRT. Cable is attached. It works fine in XP. So it must just be Ubuntu. I plan on trying Kubuntu Remix with KDE4 so i will be formatting the drive soon anyways.

It doesn't on my screen but maybe that's because I'm in Vista right now...? I found it on the web and thought it rather neat. It's actually bigger than the limits given in the change avatar section. It's 136 x 125 whereas the maximum is supposed to be 125 x 125. I'll see if I can make it a tad smaller without breaking it.

Addendum:

OK, I've made it a bit smaller...how's that?

Last edited:
That is perfect. I wsa i Opera 9.50 Beta with Dragonfly. Maybe that made it break??

It was just 2 frames that were pixelated. This one is now nice and smooth. But of course i am in Firefox 3 RC1

Back