Now the computer thinks the drive is E: instead of C:

-dan z-

Previously I requested information on removing EasyBCD (thread How do I remove EasyBCD and make both drives bootable (individually)) so that I could revert my system to a single opsys, as I no longer needed dual boot. Steve replied with instructions, which I followed. They worked - the system now has only one drive with Win-7 as the opsys. That drive and opsys was drive E, and XP was on C when I was using dual boot. The problem is, after removing the XP drive, Win-7 persists in thinking the (now) only drive in the system is drive E:. If I plug in any temporary drive via USB, that one is assigned as C:.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks!
-dan z-

If it was E before, it's still E.
Whatever letter an OS assigns itself when you install it is stored in its registry. A thousand other related entries (like the location of every driver) are linked to that letter. Change it and the system breaks.
There is no way short of reinstalling that Windows will allow you to change it successfully.
You can however search for 3rd party utilities which might allow a bulk registry edit of every instance.

Thanks, Terry60

If it was E before, it's still E.
Whatever letter an OS assigns itself when you install it is stored in its registry. A thousand other related entries (like the location of every driver) are linked to that letter. Change it and the system breaks.
There is no way short of reinstalling that Windows will allow you to change it successfully.
You can however search for 3rd party utilities which might allow a bulk registry edit of every instance.

Thanks, Terry. This is rather confusing, as the (now) E: drive was the C: drive when I installed Win-7. Then I put the XP drive back in as the main drive and installed EasyBCD. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it. I have had to change some program and data file references from C to E because of the problem. Not a real bad problem though.

Thanks again,
-dan z-

That's an entirely different matter.
If it installed as C, and it now thinks it's E, then that's not normal.
So not-normal that the system should hardly be working at all.
Do you mean that Disk Management shows W7 as E or are you referring to something in the BCD ?

Back