"NST/ntldr"

Alsenor

Sorry, I checked the wiki troubleshoot site as is suggested by your "read this first" page, but it only talks about the ntldr file, not the "NST/ntldr".
In a nutshell:
I have 2 HDD, with W7 on the first, and XP on the second drive.
I have successfully arrived at getting a dual boot screen for my W7 and XP installations, but can only boot into W7.
When I select XP I get an error msg, saying I should insert the installation disc and do a "repair", as well as this:
FILE \NST\ntldr
The selected entry could not be located because the application is either missing or corrupted.

I already did a repair install, which didn't change anything except that I couldn't boot into either OS after, and had to use the rescue CD to get Windows 7 working again.
How do I get this \NST\ntldr file where it can be located by the bootup process?

The location of NTLDR in our directory, rather than the root, is explained here.
It's a brand-new design change in the EasyBCD logic, and sorry, not all of the older documentation has caught up yet.
Did you use EasyBCD 2.0 auto-configure ? (the nst/ntldr suggests you did)
If so, did you then change the disk letter ?
auto-configure points to the "system" disk, not XP, as explained in the wiki.

The location of NTLDR in our directory, rather than the root, is explained here.
It's a brand-new design change in the EasyBCD logic, and sorry, not all of the older documentation has caught up yet.
Did you use EasyBCD 2.0 auto-configure ? (the nst/ntldr suggests you did)
If so, did you then change the disk letter ?
auto-configure points to the "system" disk, not XP, as explained in the wiki.
I used EasyBCD 2.0, and had to change the drive letter in "Advanced", because the app assigned D instead of F to the drive.
Even when I uncheck the autoconfigure box it placed XP into D and I have to correct it to F in Advanced. How can I prevent it from pointing to the system disk and point to XP instead?

Read the last two lines of my previous post, and stop changing the disk assignment.
That's why it's auto configure, to stop people pointing it to the wrong place.

Read the last two lines of my previous post, and stop changing the disk assignment.
I see. I misunderstood those 2 lines, thinking that it should point to XP. I deleted the XP entry in EasyBCD now and re-entered it allowing it to auto-configure.
Does this look right now?

Attachments

• EasyBCD-now.jpg
    EasyBCD-now.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 76
Yes.
you see that the XP entry points to the boot drive at the top (boot drive in normal human parlance being "where the boot files are", but what MS insists on calling "system" in the Disk Management flags. When they say "boot", they mean "the system that's currently running", which is not necessarily where the boot files which were used to get it running reside. Sadly MS doesn't talk the same brand of English as the rest of the tech world)

I see. I misunderstood those 2 lines, thinking that it should point to XP. I deleted the XP entry in EasyBCD now and re-entered it allowing it to auto-configure.
Unfortunately it still didn't boot into XP, but "apologized for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. etc...", giving the usual choices of "normal" "last good conf." etc., none of which worked.
What is still wrong here?

Is this an XP system you installed on this PC, or one you've ported across, or cloned from another PC ?

I made a clean install on my second drive. Plus one repair install later.

Addendum:

I made a new clean install of XP tonight.
My XP SP2 CD only works if I set the BIOS to IDE.
It booted fine from the dual OS boot screen, but W7 did not boot until I changed the BIOS back to default (which sets it to RAID).
Then XP doesn't boot, neither in "normal" nor in "last good config".
How can I get both OSes to boot?

Last edited:
Back