NTLDR Error

ade52

Hi

Initially the problem was with NTLDR when trying to boot into XP which I previously had and corrected by copying over originals from my XP disc however this did not solve the problem this time so checked the Bios and all was well in there so I decided to use EasyBCD and to go through the procedure when first using the program (Big mistake).

What happened next was instead of loading in Windows 7 which it done the first time it loaded in Vista as my first OS where it got that information from I've no idea so I tried to select W7 from the drop down menu but it wasn't there I can't remember what I did after that because I tried so many different things anyway the final result was that I'm now getting a BootGrabber error which occurred after I pressed the button to reinstall XP as the second OS.

If you just re-installed XP, it will have overwritten the MBR with the XP version which cannot be made to boot either W7 or Vista.
You need to put Vista or W7 boot back in control by repairing the bootloader.
You can use either Vista or W7 DVD.
Then follow normal procedure to get the multi-boot working.
The sticky thread will guide you through most problems you'll encounter.

Hi Terry Thanks for the reply

Just to clarify I only copied NTLDR and NTDETEC com over from my XP disc not a complete install due to the NTLDR error I was getting this solved the problem then but not this time?

This is a copy of my debug it may help?

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device unknown
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
{d13048a2-33d7-11de-973b-00112f2b3bd0}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {d13048a2-33d7-11de-973b-00112f2b3bd0}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP

It may explain the BootGrabber error the other thing I've remembered is I tried to tell EasyBCD that my XP OS was on another partition which it is because it shows it on the same one as W7 (Or am I showing my green streak).

Thanks
Adrian:smile:

It may explain the BootGrabber error the other thing I've remembered is I tried to tell EasyBCD that my XP OS was on another partition which it is because it shows it on the same one as W7 (Or am I showing my green streak).
Hello.
What was the BootGrabber error you encountered? AFAIK, BootGrabber has nothing to do with the Windows features of EasyBCD, just the Linux "Device" drop-down menu, which displays all of your drives and partitions in your system.
EasyBCD needs to be pointed at the partition that contains the boot files, not (always) the partition that contains XP. You need to check your Disk Management, and whichever partition is seen as "system" and "active", copy over boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com into the root of that partition. Then use 2.0 Beta version of EasyBCD to add a new XP entry (after deleting the old one), and hit Yes at the prompt about whether you want to let it auto-configure boot.ini for you.
Then XP should boot.

Hi Coolname Thanks for the reply

I can't remember exactly what the BootGrabber error was but I believe it was something like “BootGrabber has stopped working”

I'm already using 2.0 Beta

I wasn't sure what you meant with reference to the 3 files you mentioned so what I did this time was to delete the XP entry which left the Vista entry in the first position which is correct as it is the primary active OS then highlighted the “Reinstall the Vista Bootloader” choice and pressed the “Write MBR” button this was done then went to “Add/Remove Entries” section selected XP from the drop down menu “Drive” showing C then pressed “Add Entry” that then brought up the “Automatic BOOT.INI Configuration” window I then pressed Yes it was at this point last time that I got the BootGrabber error however this time it didn't happen I then closed EasyBCD and rebooted on rebooting I got the menu choice and selected XP and still got the NTLDR error so still can't get into XP.

Hope this explains in more detail where I've gone right or wrong if not it looks like a clean install of both OS's.

Ok, so all you need to do now is run (temporarily) the boot.ini configurater again by going to the Tools menu in EasyBCD, and selecting "Auto-configure boot.ini". Then when you see the auto-configurator prompt again, download the two other files mentioned (i.e. ntldr, and ntdetect.com) from the link provided in that window. And then open up Disk Management (Windows icon on lower left corner of the desktop>right click on "Computer">Manage>Disk Management), and take a look at your partitions. You should see one that has the "system" flag on it. So whatever partition that is, copy ntldr, and ntdetect.com into the root of that partition. By the "root", I mean the very first place you get to when first opening up a partition to browse its contents, i.e. like C:\ instead of C:\Windows, C;\Windows\system32, etc.
So once you got those two files mentioned in the root of the "system" partition, you should now be able to boot into XP, no more trouble.

Hi Coolname Thanks for the reply

Will take a copy of instructions and get back later to let you know how it went (Fingers X).

Addendum:

Hi Coolman

I can't see any link in the Auto-configurator window to allow me to download the two files you mention (Perhaps I'm reading it wrongly?)

Last edited:
You don't download them. You copy them from your XP partition to your "system" partition.
Make sure you have folder options set like this if you can't see them.

Last edited:
The link is not clickable. You will need to copy from the window, and then paste in your browser's URL address field, and hit Enter to go there. Of course what Terry suggested should also work, if your XP boot files are actually on the XP partition (which they are not always). I just thought it would be easier if you downloaded them from the link provided, because sometimes it is hard for users to find them. EasyBCD automatically creates a boot.ini, and configures it correctly, when you use its auto-config, so that is why you only need to copy the other two files.

Hi

All is well again however this is the second time this has happened and I dont know why as I said previously the first time I put the two files in question into the root of XP and that solved the problem then.

Anyway many thanks for all your help.

If you want to solve the mystery, how about posting the following:

1. A screenshot of your Disk Management window (with all of your partitions correctly labeled so we know what they contain).
  2. The output of the "bootpart" command (without the quotes) run from EasyBCD's Power Console on the "Useful Utilities" page.
  3. A description of what you did to solve the problem this time (as it is not really clear whether the latest advice is what solved it).
  4. An explanation of what you meant when you said (in the first post):
What happened next was instead of loading in Windows 7 which it done the first time it loaded in Vista as my first OS where it got that information from I've no idea so I tried to select W7 from the drop down menu but it wasn't there I can't remember what I did after that because I tried so many different things anyway the final result was that I'm now getting a BootGrabber error which occurred after I pressed the button to reinstall XP as the second OS.
:wink:

Last edited:
Back