ntldr missing fix does not work

rrany

Hello,
I tried the Nuclear Holocaust option 3 for a fix in the forum, buit line 4 of the command instructions is invalid, i.e., the first line with the "windows boot manager"

I triple checked all characters and they are identical with the instruction.

By the way, the ntldr error arose after a simple Canon iP8500 printer Vista upgrade program was loaded and froze half way through. When I rebooted the PC w Vista Home Prem OS I got the ntldr missing boot line. All fixes so far - automatic with repair option and manual options have not fixed the problem. I tried the option 3 as referred and command line 4 does not work. I hope it didn't obliterate my OS boot so that I can't access files.

Been there done that long ago. As stated the command line 4 is not valid. A correction would be in order.

Also, I put the drive in another PC after using the instructions of option 2 and the partial Option 3 and now my UserID stuff does not show in Windows Explorer along with all dozens of programs, program data, favorites, documents etc. etc. , as the folders are now all empty Only Administrator, Default user and All Users IDS show up - all empty. How do I get to my dozens of programs, program data, desttop, favorites, and most importantly Documents, since my User ID is gone.

Sounds like you may have a corrupted disk. Try a file recovery program, Recuva is the best one for Windows.

Thanks for the tip, however, before I go that route, I want to try Option 3 as stated. Line 4 is not a valid command as typed exactly as instructed. Please recheck that command line and correct as needed to finish that Option 3.

That line in the instructions has not changed since Jan 25th 2008.
If it were syntactically incorrect, the howls of anguish would have deafened us by now.
Are you sure that you've identified the correct letter for your "c" drive, and that all spaces in the command are also present and correct.

I'm still in limbo. Before i reinstall the OS and lose most settings, I want to emphasize that the referred option 3 command line creates a nonvalid command error. I exactly typed it in as shown and recheck over many times. Spacing is somewhat ambigous, since some spaces look like spaces but may not be. I'm not a newby and can get around with DOS commands. Please go over the option 3 lines again and see if it can be clarified. also does option 3 cause loss of anything in the mbr that may be disastrous.THe OS is on the C: drive.

Option 3 doesn't overwrite the entire MBR, only the first 446 bytes (vs the first 512). This does not include the partition table, and is space set aside solely for bootloader purposes.

missing ntldr

Option 3 doesn't overwrite the entire MBR, only the first 446 bytes (vs the first 512). This does not include the partition table, and is space set aside solely for bootloader purposes.

Hi, I'm new here and would like to know the " fix" you are referring to. I have lost my NTLDR at start up in XP.

Thanks
Dmeggers

Hello Dmeggers,
The fix is on the neosmart page for 'ntldr missing' - do a search on the site. It covers 3 Options from MS DVD repair console to progressively geek savvy command lines with DOS style commands. I'm at Option 3, where a command line gives me an invalid command that I can't debug. If you have an XP OS I'd look at http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm first. I blame MS for crappy programming on the Vista OS where I got this error that should be obsolete with that OS. TRy to get your money back from MS or free support.

Back