NTLDR missing- Vista

Katie93

When I tried to reboot my computer i get an error message telling me that my "NTLDR is missing. Please press a key to restart." I searched this on the internet- and found this website: Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash. Since i only have Vista installed in my computer, i followed the link it gave me, and came to this website:Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki. i followed the steps... and made it to step 4- manually repairing the vista bootloader (because step 3 didn't work).
This is what it told me to do:
"bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force"- this worked....
Now we get rid of the old BCD registry, and create a new one instead.
Note: We're assuming that the boot drive is drive C: below. If your computer is configured differently, be sure to use the appropriate drive letter here instead. ( mine is actually in D: )

del C:\boot\bcd
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp"

It all worked up to this point- it tells me:
"The store import operation has failed. The system cannot find the file specified."
So what have I done wrong?

Hello Katie, welcome to NST

Vista doesn't require ntldr. You may want to give startup repair anther try. Sometimes it takes a few tries for it to fix everything.

Now in regard to the import problems you're having:
Does bcd.tmp exist in the c:\boot directory? -> dir c:\boot
Try removing read only/system attributes from the file -> attrib -r -s c:\boot\bcd.temp

If it was there try to import again.

This is what it told me to do:
"bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force"- this worked....
Now we get rid of the old BCD registry, and create a new one instead.
Note: We're assuming that the boot drive is drive C: below. If your computer is configured differently, be sure to use the appropriate drive letter here instead. ( mine is actually in D: )

del C:\boot\bcd
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp"

It all worked up to this point- it tells me:
"The store import operation has failed. The system cannot find the file specified."
So what have I done wrong?
If your "system" partition has the D: drive letter (as seen by the recovery cd system), then you will need to replace all occurances of "C" or "c" (which I bolded) with D instead. :wink:

Last edited:
Back