NTLDR, NTDETECT, and Boot.ini errors in Vista-XP Dual-Boot

It's thanks to the older generation that we are where we are today :smile:

The most-apt saying that comes to mind is: "We stand on the shoulders of giants" - If it wasn't for the older generation and their pioneering and patience in the computer industry, we most certainly wouldn't be here today :smile:

Yes Guru, I completely agree with you.

And sir, let me show my respect: Please, after you are done with this problem, rest your eyes in Our Best Photos thread, and feel free to leave a comment on anything :smile: I'll be happy to see you around.

so if I understand correctly based on the boot.ini guide:

this is my HD order in BIOS:

1. Vista (SATA-RAID0)
2. XP (SATA)
3. SATA
4. IDE

so if I understand correctly my XP should look something like this:

Code:
rdisk(1)partition(1)
because its a second drive from top so we mark it 1 and it has only one partition so we mark it 1?

either way I tried changing numbers from rdisk(2), rdisk(0), and partitions asme way changin from 0 to 1 and vice versa, still no go, any suggestions

As the stickied thread indicates, use the drive and partition+1 numbers EasyBCD shows in the Add/Remove -> Linux/BSD

Thank you Guru for your patience with me, I took my time to read the guide and if I am not mistaken did everything right an d still no go.

as you see my XP drive is 0 and partition 0 and I changed that inside the boot.ini

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
and I still get the sam error. its strange that I can load XP if I switch HD order in the BIOS

EDIT:
( as my grandson informed)just for the heck of it I will repost my boot information:

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=G:
default                 {b59b6ff4-333e-11dc-aa8e-9043807af9e1}
displayorder            {b59b6ff4-333e-11dc-aa8e-9043807af9e1}
                        {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {b59b6ff4-333e-11dc-aa8e-9043807af9e1}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered) 
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier              {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device                  partition=G:
path                    \ntldr
description             Microsoft Windows

I also added ntdlr and NTDETEC files to Vista Drive and when booting it gave me this error:

Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Widows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

and I know this file is there , but I think that my xp is trying to boot from Vista drive

my grandson installed Acronis disk director and in the XP HD drive properties it showed that hd 1 and part 1

easy BCD linuxBCD showed differently

That's what I said in my post above.

In boot.ini you must use EasyBCD's partition number + 1.

So it's actually rdisk(0) and partition(1) :smile:

this is what I did:

I changed numbers to rdiks(0) partition(1), after reboot it gave me NTDETECT error so I copied it from XP drive along with ntdlr to Vista drive and rebooted again, this time after selecting XP from boot menu it came a blank black screen and it froze like that , I waited for like 3 minutes and had to reboot since it was not going anywhere . so what do I do next

Try using

D:\Windows instead of the disk()rdisk() string

{obviously substituting D:\ with the letter of your XP drive}

nope Mr. Guru , it didn't work at first gave me ntdetect error than I decided to remove ntdlr and NTDETECT files from Vista partition and it gave me something that my boot.ini file is wrong

I have on both drives, should I remove from XP ? also should I copy NTDETEC and ntdlr from xp to vista? and should I copy (if copy) to boot folder or to c:\

NTDETECT and NTLDR need to be on the Vista drive, as does boot.ini

You shouldn't need them on the XP drive any more. Make sure the XP entry in EasyBCD also points to the Vista drive.

Vista (x86) + XP(x64) Dual Boot fixed

I am going to document my successful dual boot fix for those who struggle in similar situations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Vista installed on RAID0 configuration and XP on SATA non RAID. I Installed Vista first and than installed x64 bit XP Pro on a second drive. After installing XP I was no longer able to boot into Vista. From XP using latest easyBCD software I reinstalled Vista bootloader and rebooted computer, thinking that this will take me straight to Vista, however my XP was still booting, so without any other delays I popped Vista DVD and rebooted again , with the help of Vista DVD repair options Vista automatically repaired my Vista bootloader and finally was able to load into Vista, however my dual boot was not accomplished yet. ( thanks Guru and his community for excellent support) this is what I had to get it to work:

1. I went into BIOS and set Vista hd to load first and XP to load second.
2. from Vista I was able to browse XP drive, so I moved boot.ini, ntdlr and NTDETEC files to Vista drive C:\ ( make sure at this point no boot.ini , ntdlr or NTDETEC is located in XP drive)
3. using the latest easyBCD 1.6 software I opened TOOLS|edit legacy entries
(you may have to point where your boot.ini file is -make sure you point to the one you moved to Vista) I edited hd rdisk and partition order.

note:

( I used Acronis Director 10 to identify hd order, see example below, also Guru suggested to use easyBCD|Add/Remove|Linux/BSD to find out what hd order is in my case this was misleading so I used Disk Director 10, but it may work for you)

4. inside boot.ini file i edited rdisk and partition numbers, here is an example of my boot.ini

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
5.so after you edit boot.ini file its time to add XP to the boot menu. Open
easyBCD|Add/Remove entires and add XP, note: make sure you're pointing XP to Vista drive not the XP drive because that's where your ntdlr , boot.ini and NTDETEC files are , save it and reboot. you should now be able to boot into both OS.

in case if you get erro like NTDETECT failed or similar error its most likely your boot.ini file rdisk number is wrong, try to alternate the number

I hope this will help others, and of course GURU is here to help all the way if needed. :smile:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Mr. Guru for your support. You are the hero here.

Last edited:
Title Fixed.

I'll add a link to your solution in your original post, that should help anyone else in the future.

Thanks for letting us know it worked, many people just take the solution and leave :smile:

At any rate, congrats on getting it to work!!! :grinning:

Hi Guru. Can you help me to fix my issue. I have pre_installed Vista basic with T400 thinkpad. When I install XP OS in another partition, I want to dual boot OS. So that I install Vista first, Xp second.
Firstly, If I active the partition contain vista OS, vista ok and xp can't run, and otherwise :frowning:
To fix boot problem, I try to use both eassyBCD and VistaBootPro but it's not run.

After that I convert Xp partition to logical, vista partition still is primary(not active)
When I start laptop, it run to "windows boot manager"
and I can choice between vista or xp. Vista OK but XP error.
I have moved boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr from Xp partition to vista partition, then change boot.ini
-----------------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Note that vista install in partition(1) and xp install in partition(3)

The error message is :
invalid boot.ini file
booting from C:\Windows\
ntdetect failed

The message in easyBCD :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows Xp
BCD ID: {fc87519b-9e34-11dd-85b1-a8d741b40e48}
Bootloader Path: \ntldr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum:

If try to move back boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr to xp partition, and fix in easyBCD
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {fc87519e-9e34-11dd-85b1-a8d741b40e48}
Drive: \Device\HarddiskVolume2(or Drive: F:\)
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Still error message is :
invalid boot.ini file
booting from C:\Windows\
ntdetect failed
i have no idea to solve the problem :frowning:

Last edited:
Back