NTLDR, NTDETECT, and Boot.ini errors in Vista-XP Dual-Boot

Hi dikdikdik,
You should not be playing with the "active" flag, that's telling the MBR which partition contains the bootmgr.
With a Vista/XP dual boot the Vista bootmgr must be in charge. You cannot boot Vista through XP's NTLDR.
It's also better to have left XP on a primary partition, not a logical disk. (A logical disk cannot be "active")
Make your Vista partition "active" again.
Make sure that the 3 XP boot files are in the root of the Vista partition.
Point the boot.ini in the Vista root, at the XP partition.
Run EasyBCD from Vista and make sure the XP entry points to the Vista root (you're telling it where to find the boot files, not where to find XP. The XP files in the Vista root will chain on to find XP)

Yes I have changed logical partition to primary partition, move 3 XP file boot to Vista partition(of cause they're not exist in xp partition), then change boot.ini :
---------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
---------------------------
In easyBCD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 10 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows Xp
BCD ID: {fc87519b-9e34-11dd-85b1-a8d741b40e48}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every thing don't change. it can't run XP

1 note that my Vista run only i set sata drive to AHCI while if I want boot from CD I change AHCI -> compability

I have 1 hidden partition to recovery vista, it is partition (0), next is vista partition -> partition (1), then data partition -> partition(2), finally is XP partition -> partition (3).

When I try to run XP, error message is :
-----------------------------------------
invalid boot.ini file
booting from C:\Windows\
ntdetect failed
-----------------------------------------

I think 2 OS ok because it run normal if i active each partition, the issue is in the boot manager to choice link run OS.

Partitions in windows don't start numbering at 0 like in linux. They start with 1 (Windows considers the MBR as 0)
Try Partition(4) in your boot.ini

Yes I have changed logical partition to primary partition, move 3 XP file boot to Vista partition(of cause they're not exist in xp partition), then change boot.ini

Keyword here.... move. You never want to move the files: you want to copy them. This is espeically inmportant in a mutldisk setup where the old boot.ini is needed as well on XP's disk for booting XP alone in case it is needed or the Vista disk is no longer in the computer and you want to continue using XP.

Ok I can use 2 OS. Thank all

Addendum:

The way I follow
1. Active partition vista
2. Repair BCD file with vista disk
3. 3 file XP boot in partition vista, and ntdetect.com exist in both of 2 partition
4. use easy BCD to add XP boot file from partition Vista
--> done
I have one problem :
Vista OS only run if I choice in BIOS that sata driver is AHCI
XP OS only run If choice in BIOS that sata driver is compatibility
Why that? May be XP OS missing some driver?...(I think)

Last edited:
Vista only runs in AHCI because that is the mode it was installed in. Vista doesn't like you switching modes on it and XP won't run in AHCI at all (at least not from what i've seen anyway). Switching to sata mode and re-installing Vista well fix the problem.

NTLDR

Hello All

I have a small issue. Let me give some background.

I have a gateway laptop. I had a dual boot setup with vista and xp and all was working great.

I had a conflict in one of my apps that utimately ended up causing me to reload Vista. I put the entries back into bcdedit and i have the menu coming up however I get the NTLDR missing error when I try to Boot xp

Vista in c (boot) Reloaded and active
XP on D. Not touched.

Is it as simple as puting the NTLDR and NTDETECT back into the vista folder?

Let me know what other info is needed and I will supply.

Just a note. Vista was reloaded from recovery DVDs. and I beleive that C was formatted. This leads me to beleive that the required files for the XP boot were on C as well. I cannot find NTLDR and NDDETECT when I search on C. I do have a vista os DVD.

Thanks

Mark

Addendum:

Here is my bootmgr :

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {a1bc446b-37f6-11dd-b382-fe856f01a2ea}
displayorder {a1bc446b-37f6-11dd-b382-fe856f01a2ea}
{466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {a1bc446b-37f6-11dd-b382-fe856f01a2ea}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {a1bc446c-37f6-11dd-b382-fe856f01a2ea}
nx OptIn
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description microsoft Windows XP

I copied the ntldr and ntdetect into the vista root and now I get an error as follows..

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I assume that I am getting this because ntldr is looking in C ofr the file. XP is on D. How do I tell the computer that xp is on D?

M

Last edited:
Hi schafoo, welcome to NST.
Please read the sticky thread especially 5 and 6
You need to copy three XP boot files. Then point the copied boot.ini back to your XP partition.

Vista only runs in AHCI because that is the mode it was installed in. Vista doesn't like you switching modes on it and XP won't run in AHCI at all (at least not from what i've seen anyway). Switching to sata mode and re-installing Vista well fix the problem.

EEEEEEEE....wrong! :smile: Has no one seen what i posted about AHCI in that other thread? :tongueout: Just FYI, it is possible for XP to run on AHCI mode! Simply download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager on XP, from this page: Lenovo Support & downloads - Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP, Vista (32bit) - ThinkPad

And then follow these instructions to install:

Note: If you do not have a diskette drive, you can install Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver by the following alternative procedure:

If you do not have a diskette drive, you can install Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver by the following alternative procedure:

1. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.
  2. Select Config.
  3. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
  4. Select Compatibility.
  5. Install Windows XP and Service Pack 2.
  6. Download Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver from the Web site and extract the driver to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM.
  7. Run Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. To do this, go to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM\PREPARE, and double-click install.cmd.
  8. Turn the computer off and then on again.
  9. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.
  10. Select Config.
  11. Select Serial ATA (SATA).
  12. Select AHCI.
  13. Start Windows XP. The Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard appears.
  14. Click No, not this time and click Next.
  15. Select Install from a list or specific location(Advanced), then click Next.
  16. Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM, and click Next. The Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard appears.
  17. Click Finish.
  18. When the System Settings Change window appears, click Yes. The computer restarts.

Its real simple and it WORKS! :lol: After installing it, you will be able to keep the operating mode on AHCI, and still be able to boot into XP. I have personally used this, and so i know it works! :wink:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

That may only work for select models than because I have intel matrix storage drivers installed and it still doesn't work. Unless of course this a special version you're referring to...

That may only work for select models than because I have intel matrix storage drivers installed and it still doesn't work. Unless of course this a special version you're referring to...

Did you try using the one i gave the link to in my above post...? :wink: And following the instructions i quoted as well? worked perfectly for me, and i'm using a newish Dell Studio 1535 laptop, so i'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you...:wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Yeah that paticular version doesn't apply to my model. Its not a big deal for me anyway seeing how I got Vista installed and working in SATA and even getting XP to work with AHCI would mean I'd haft to reinstall Vista if I didn't want to switch on each boot.

Yeah that paticular version doesn't apply to my model. Its not a big deal for me anyway seeing how I got Vista installed and working in SATA and even getting XP to work with AHCI would mean I'd haft to reinstall Vista if I didn't want to switch on each boot.

what model of computer and what version of XP do you have? if you like, i could try searching for it...there's bound to be a version of it that will work with your model. :wink: AHCI has a few advantages over SATA, so it would better (in my opinion) if you get AHCI mode working on your computer...

-Coolname007

EDIT: Hold on! :S So you say Vista doesn't work with AHCI?!! so what version of Vista do you have then?!! its strange that it wouldn't include a AHCI driver...also, did Vista come pre-installed, like mine, or was it installed later via a CD/DVD?

EDIT #2: Also, do you have an Intel chipset, because i think that that's what the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver specifically for...?

Last edited:
EDIT: Hold on! :S So you say Vista doesn't work with AHCI?!!!

No, it does. Its just that it'll only run in the mode it was installed in. Vista was pre-installed on the laptop when I got it in AHCI, but I set it to SATA and wiped the drive clean before putting on XP and Vista the day I got it.

No, it does. Its just that it'll only run in the mode it was installed in. Vista was pre-installed on the laptop when I got it in AHCI, but I set it to SATA and wiped the drive clean before putting on XP and Vista the day I got it.

Ok...thanks for clarifying! :wink: So Vista on yours works on SATA then? strange, because it didn't on mine...i guess because there was no SATA driver pre-installed with Vista. So you can see now why i needed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager in my case...:lol: Before i installed it, if i had it set to AHCI (because i was in Vista last), i had to switch it to SATA before booting into XP...and if in turn, i wanted to boot into Vista, it would of course be set to SATA mode, which didn't work on Vista, which means i would have to switch it back to AHCI before i could boot into Vista! :lup: However, once i installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, i no longer had the problem, and i could boot into XP while keeping it at AHCI mode, which is better anyway...:grinning:

Are you sure you don't want to use the IMSM...? :wink: If you give me the specs of your computer, i will look for the correct version of it that will work with yours, and you will be able to keep it at AHCI mode, while still being able to boot into XP...:grinning:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back