OEM Product Key Tool

That just means that you don't have an embedded key.
If your key is hashed in the OS (as it will be if you installed Windows yourself), there are many apps you can find with a web-search, which will un-hash it back to the box key.
OEMs can burn the key into firmware (to avoid having to supply you with a sticky label). That's what this particular app is for.

That just means that you don't have an embedded key.
If your key is hashed in the OS (as it will be if you installed Windows yourself), there are many apps you can find with a web-search, which will un-hash it back to the box key.
OEMs can burn the key into firmware (to avoid having to supply you with a sticky label). That's what this particular app is for.

Thank you Terry. I did try it on another laptop with the OEM system, and it worked fine. Oh, I thought I had posted it on the public form when I asked - my fault. Al

/aside I suppose I need to dig out the source code for the utility and replace that technical message with a much more user-friendly one. This is about the billionth time someone has posted or emailed asking about this "bug" in the product key utility.

Back