OEMKEY not working

I have a win8 laptop and a win 8.1 notebook. The OEMKEY reveal tool worked on them both but neither one has a product key sticker. I have 2 win 7 machines, both have product key stickers. The sticker on the win7 laptop has 2 characters which are illegible. WEhen using the OEMKEY reveal tool I get a message "Unable to open MSDM table". How can I get the product key for the laptop with the illegible sticker? Refering to the manufacturer may be a no go as it is a Gateway, (who are they and are they still around). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
The message "Unable to open MSDM table" means that this computer or laptop does not have a key embedded in the BIOS/firmware by the manufacturer.
(Gateway is still around and making PCs!?)

The message "Unable to open MSDM table" means that this computer or laptop does not have a key embedded in the BIOS/firmware by the manufacturer.
(Gateway is still around and making PCs!?)
Thank you, I have found that Acer is now marketing Gateway products. I have approached them for an answer.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I can tell you that it *is* technically possible and within your rights to obtain a replacement product key from some combination of your OEM and Microsoft if you can provide proof that you have a worn-out product key label (it's their fault they produce them so shoddily!). However, I can only wish you the best of luck: most level 1 technicians will not have any clue what you're talking about and will not be able to help you unless you can get the case elevated.

Best of luck!