Ok, this may be the most n00bish question but,

agar_agar

how on Earth does anyone install EASYBCD if the very Windows I have on the drive is dead? e.g. I can only boot from a Live USB (really weird setup)

I tried installing the app on Mini XP which comes on Hiren's boot CD but failed.
I also have Ubuntu installed but it doesn't boot either. Black screen. No more. Is there an EASYBCD for linux?

Any insight about this issue? Thanks for your support! :grinning:

if you're so kind to read about my issue, please go here.

agar_agar

Hi, thanks for the link. Sorry for not answering right away, I was on vacation so I couldn't log in.
So it was a very simple process, but Grub keeps on coming in first. If it solves the issue, could I get rid of it and how? I'd prefer pressing F12 to choose where I want to boot from. (Right now, my main partition is Vista C: and then Ubuntu, on H:smile:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Did you "startup repair" three times ?
There are multiple things to fix and it only does them one per pass.

agar_agar

Hi Terry, thanks for replying.
Yes, I did. I ven went to CMD and tried the repair manually /fixmbr /fixboot /rebuildbcd / etc. etc. But nothing works. The only thing that worked was the last pair of instructions on the link. Even after I fully rebuild the BCD manually, it may be working but I think the computer doesn't see it because Grub comes first. Yeah, I had to install Ubuntu. So now what?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
How many hard disks do you have?

Terry60

Staff member
If you've "repaired" Vista/7 , it will have put its own boot process in place.
If you're still seeing grub, are you booting from the right HDD ?

agar_agar

@Computer Guru: Only one. With 4 partitions.

If you're still seeing grub, are you booting from the right HDD ?
I want to think I am. When I 'repaired' Vista booting from a USB with Win7 image, I see the bcd file size was changed, but only on the same USB not on C:
The instructions on the link made me delete BCD on C: and rebuild it manually so I'm 50% sure it's repaired, only it doesn't come up. Well, at least I don't see "bootmgr is missing. press Ctrl+Alt+Del".

How do I know I'm booting from the right HDD?
Thanks again.

Addendum:

Ok, now I'm getting:

GRUB loading.
error: file not found
grub rescue>_

I tried the automatic repair again. Luckily I made a backup of BCD.
What now?

Addendum:

Aaaand now I boot from the USB but I'm welcomed with an error:

windows could not complete the installation. to install windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
GRUB has nothing to do with the BCD.

What operating systems do you have installed?

Terry60

Staff member
When you boot a Vista/7 DVD or repair ISO, it asks you to select the OS you want to repair.
It sounds like you're selecting the repair ISO itself rather than the HDD OS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540
so you haven't touched the broken boot, hence the apparently immortal grub.