Opening Executables

Kahai

Distinguished Member
I was just wondering, i know that they use some program or something to open game .exe to aply No-Dvd/Cd Cracks.

What would that program be?

I reason i ask is i thought it would be kool to see what is inside one, and maybe understand what it takes to make one via reverse-engineering.

I used to be able to sight-read hex dumps, translating mentally back into 360/370 assembler and EBCDIC alphamerics, but that was a while ago in human terms, aeons in IT reckoning. In those days addresses were in 3 bytes (hence 16Mb address space limitation), which shows how far the world has moved on.

okay kool, i know some about Assembly code, not much not enough to read it, just thought it would be kool to know

Thanks guys ^_^

I used to be able to sight-read hex dumps, translating mentally back into 360/370 assembler and EBCDIC alphamerics, but that was a while ago in human terms, aeons in IT reckoning. In those days addresses were in 3 bytes (hence 16Mb address space limitation), which shows how far the world has moved on.
Exactly :grinning:

I can read 68K (circa 1980s) and MIPS (circa 1990s - now) assembly pretty well, but the current x86 ASM instruction set is just too huge for anyone other than a hard-core ASM coder to read fluently.

68K has a memory limit of 8MB (technically it's 24-bit addresses, but some are reserved for interrupts), but the MIPS is a full 32-bit system like the x86 - only it's RISC so the instruction set is a LOT easier on the eyes and the brain than a modern CISC system.

There were some efforts a while back to create a backwards ASM-to-C "decompiler" but I don't think any of the projects were met with major success.

Back