Option 2 manually repairing the boot loader

HP Compaq NC6320. Windows Vista. No installer disk available.
Originally I made it into a multiboot with VistaBootPro. When the disk got full, I removed the multiboot partition which worked nicely. Then I tried to restore the original bootloader also with VistaBootPro. Thats where it went wrong. I suspect Windows defender not allowing to write to certain directories.
Now starting up gives an error that HAL.dll is not found. :x But infact the file is there and not corrupt.

I tried the automated repair from the easybcd 3 times with no result.
I am now at the second step in the prompt section where you must enter bootrec.exe /fixmbr
it answers bootrec.exe command not found. This is where I'm stuc.
I'am not familiar with the Linux command promt
appreciate any help

Anybody?
This is just a question about the functioning of the alternative restore disk I downloaded at this site (and paid for). I am just trying to take the actions you should do when automatic recovery does not work. Obviously the command prompt does not find the commandline program bootrec.exe. So where is it located? Is it on this disk or is located elswhere. Is it perhaps a dos/windos program that should be on the installation disk that I don't have? If so, is there another way to run it.
Apparently the downloaded disk is some sort of Linux distribution. I am not very familiar with Linux. Can I run bootrec.exe in this evironment?

Is there an alternative way to get a new MBR?

thx

Femme

VistaBootPro is buggy software that is built on code originally stolen from us. We do not support it or its aftermath.

This is just a question about the functioning of the alternative restore disk I downloaded at this site (and paid for). I am just trying to take the actions you should do when automatic recovery does not work. Obviously the command prompt does not find the commandline program bootrec.exe. So where is it located? [/QUOTE said:
I have the same problem (and paid for).
There are similar threads with the same problem, with no response??

Problem solved

I solved the problem! :joy:
It turns out that you need bootrec.exe in some bootable form. But this is a windows program and it is not on the disk you can download from this site.

It turns out there is a legal download at
Vista Notfall/Recovery-CD 32-Bit - Windows Tools - Dr. Windows
It is actually a prerelease of the Vista SP1 that accidently contained the program. In the final release of the SP the program was removed.
The program is in German, :S but the bootrec repair works for any language implementation of Windows.
I had to run it twice. The second time it worked. :smile:

To guru: I assume that you are connected to this site. Your remark is rather offending. Vista BootPro is excellent and for free. It does what it should do and it implements its own version of a bootloader. Simply trying to undo the changes and restore the original windows boot is what killed my system.

I am not happy paying for software downloaded here, that did not do anything. Why don't you supply bootable software that can re-implement the MBR as does Bootrec.exe. If the Bootpro code was really stolen from you, why don't you write your own bootloader to replace what is damaged there. That would be something you can charge people a small fee for.

greetings Femme

To guru: I assume that you are connected to this site. Your remark is rather offending. Vista BootPro is excellent and for free. It does what it should do and it implements its own version of a bootloader. Simply trying to undo the changes and restore the original windows boot is what killed my system.

You could say that. I own this site and everything on it.

Why don't you supply bootable software that can re-implement the MBR as does Bootrec.exe. If the Bootpro code was really stolen from you, why don't you write your own bootloader to replace what is damaged there. That would be something you can charge people a small fee for.

greetings Femme

Already did, it's called EasyBCD. Unlike VistaBootPro (which is not free, it's 9.95) EasyBCD is 100% free for home use.

Back