OsVersionMismatch

Hello all. I tried just about everything I can think of and followed the directions on this site before posting, but I am stumped!. I have a HP Pavillion dv6000 with Windows Vista 32-bit and it decided not to boot up any longer after installing some updates. I booted it up and hit F11 to restore to factory defaults and it hung up at 74% progress. I went to bed and let it run and when I got up 6 hours later it was still at 74% progress. I powered it down and tried to reboot and the boot\bcd file was missing and I could go no farther. I downloaded your vista recovery cd from http://neosmart.net/downloads/miscellania/Windows Vista 32-bit Repair Disc.torrent (thanks by the way) and was able to get into the startup repair which of course Vista could not repair. I ran it 5 times and then decided to follow your "Nuclear Holocaust" method of rebuilding the bootloader. I sucessfully completed the task and rebooted only to find that \windows\system32\winload.exe was "missing or corrupt. I thought maybe that I had the wrong target in rebuilding the bootloader so I used C: and D: and E: and F: in the process and only D: works for the line x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
all other drives say that it is not recognized as an internal or external command.

The intresting thing is when startup repair cannot fix itself, under view problem details I get:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: External Media
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: OsVersionMiscatch
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: unknown
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any ideas? I downloaded Ubuntu and ran it by selecting the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes to your computer" and I can see my harddrive C: and the recovery D: and they all look good, check out fine, in the command prompt of the Vista recovery CD all scan disks check out fine. It seems the only thing I can do from Ubuntu is backup my personal files (pictures, music, etc). Am I ablt to create a bootable copy of my windows vista from Ubuntu? Any suggestions will help. Cheers!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Perhaps your usage of "C:" in the bcdedit commands was mistaken?

I re-entered all the command line script from your "nuclear holocaust" replacing C: with D: and wound up at the same place. I downloaded a copy of G-Parted on another laptop and was able to boot from it on the broken HP. I changed the "boot" partition from the C: drive to the HP_Recovery drive D: and ended up at the same place. Ran all the command line script while the HP_Recovery was the "Boot" drive using C: and D: in the command script to no avail. I'm back where I started. I'm becoming obsessed over this not wanting Vista to beat me! I will win! If you have any more ideas, I'm all ears.

Well, I give up! I went with a complete re-install of Windows 7 (forget Vista). I'm sure there was a method to fix it that I was missing, but I'm not willing to waste any more energy wrestling with Vista. Thanks for your feedback.. Cheers!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sorry to hear that, Jim.

It's really way too bad that Windows Vista+ don't have a "repair install" feature, esp. given how easy and often Windows installs break....