Outlook Express for Windows 7

Sorry to wake up an old thread but for any of you who have Windows Mail working in Windows 7, yesterdays's security bulletin KB978542 broke it.

It is easily remedied by replacing the msoe.dll file. Make sure you use the right one (64-bit for x64 systems etc and it goes in Program Files not program Files (x86) etc. etc.) as per the tutorial here.

Well CG don't forget that officially Windows Mail does not exist in Windows 7.

That said........ I find the wording of the online details for the recent security update
KB978542 interesting.

QUOTE IN PART (see the last part):

This security update is rated Critical for Microsoft Outlook Express on all
supported editions of Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server
2003; and for Windows Mail on all supported editions of Windows Vista and
Windows Server 2008. This security update is rated Important for Windows
Live Mail on all supported editions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows
Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2; AND FOR WINDOWS MAIL ON
ALL SUPPORTED EDITIONS OF WINDOWS 7 and...

Are MSFT tacitly acknowledging the fact that people are hacking it into Win 7?????

I posted that question in the MVP Win 7 NG and all I got was that WLM is a piece of crap, well I already know that. LOL

Hit this one this morning Peter, before coming here to warn you, and finding you'd got there before me.
Didn't want to run Mail without fixing the security vulnerability though, so did the following.

Sys Restore back-out the WUD, check Mail working again.
Boot Vista, apply all outstanding WUD (including this fix)
Boot W7, copy the DLL and the spamfilter.dat from Vista into the W7 mail folder (newer versions)
Rename WIndows Mail folder to WindowsV Mail
Rename Windows7 Mail folder to Windows Mail (I renamed the W7 "dummy" version when I ported over Vista's real working model)
Run the W7 WUD again to unback-out the system restore, and register the fix on W7
Rename WIndows Mail folder to Windows7 Mail
Rename WindowsV Mail folder to Windows Mail
Check that Mail still works.

Glad to say it does, and hopefully in a leak-plugged version, with all spam filters up to date (another thing that doesn't get regularly updated on W7 for us clandestine users !)

That's interesting...on the Win 7 Forums no mention is ever made of the spamfilter.dat - why did you also move that over?

I simply copied the 64-bit msoe.dll over and the update was not offered again so I assumed that it still was effective. I didn't do any system restores or anything like that so the update was never undone in my case.

Edit: I re-read your post and see that it would keep the spam filters up to date. However I think you'll find that once Windows Mail is hacked into Windows 7 updates for it will come in as normal. I could be wrong of course.
Anyway I just copied OEspamfilter.DAT over to both my Win 7's and WinMail works fine. No renaming of anything required...just remember to take ownership of the file before transferring it.

Last edited:
I was right in the middle of an important email exchange when WUD ran and Mail hung-up. A reboot didn't fix it so I assumed (correctly) that the WUD was to blame and SR'd immediately to get back to where I was.
Did the investigation and fixing later, and came here to warn you.
Which DLL are you using, the one newly fixed, or the original with the vulnerability ?
I copied the spam filter because it's newer than the one ported over (On Vista today, there were 4 fixes, not the 2 on W7, incuding a new spam filter update. (that doesn't get offered to W7 because it's only a dummy I suppose))

Ah, I see. I copied over originally just the 64-bit msoe.dll then after reading your advice, the copy of OEspamfilter.dat (I assume you simply omitted the OE part) from my newly updated Vista WM and things work just fine.

W7 Mail is an odd-fish. It seems to be a one-time only module. Run it when W7 is newly installed, and it offers to import all your mail into WLM (I think), then run it again and ---- total silence.
I think all the WUDs to W7 Mail are purely to that function, hence no spam filters, and I don't think MS makes any concessions to the likes of us.
I think we'll need to be hands-on in the management of Mail in perpetuity.
(Yes I did just omit the OE)

I wonder why they worded the online explanation of that security update the way they did?

"AND FOR WINDOWS MAIL ON ALL SUPPORTED EDITIONS OF WINDOWS 7 and... "

If you look at the detailed KB article, it notes against W7 that the vulnerability doesn't exist because Mail isn't included, but it still does something to the dummy module's folder (today's date), presumably just for the one-off function.
(Windows Mail does exist, "just not as we know it Jim")

LOL...I knew Star Trek had something to do with this...!

MSFT made a grave error not at least making it WM an option. (Like they made IE an option for that stupid EU ruling).

Just spent a morning bringing my three "spare" OSs completely up to date, and noticed Vista has another spam filter update you might want to port across to Seven Peter.

Terry thanks, but doesn't Windows Mail update normally once setup in Windows 7? I thought it did. I could be wrong of course.
I will have to boot into Windows 7 to check but it appears that I'm up to date with all updates a.t.m.

I haven't been paying much attention the last few days as my oldest friend in the U.K. died at the weekend and as I am a close friend I've become almost like an international telephone exchange trying to coordinate family and friends who are scattered all over the globe, let alone the U.K. I should go over I suppose but am not too well myself at present and hope they can sort things out amongst themselves.

If I spot anything relevant I'll post back.

Addendum:

Ok am in Win 7 as we speak and WM works just fine with all current updates and is still set to the default mail and news handler. If I recall one fairly recent security update upset the apple cart so to speak but I believe it was steps 3 and 4 here that fixed that.

Last edited:
W7 still works fine, but the "real" Mail doesn't get updated just the "one-time" Mail (which broke "real" last time because it doesn't know we've switched them).
The spamfilterxxx.dat file isn't updated in W7 because there's no need for it in the "one-time" world.
Look in the Vista Mail folder and you'll see it has a later date.
Just drag it across over the older version.

SP1 has crippled Windows Mail again, but this time I can't be bothered to re-port it from Vista.
I've decided to give up the unequal fight and switch to Live Mail.
Now I've just got to sort out the incredible labyrinthine folder structure into something more intelligible, after it's imported my Mail into folders within folders within folders etc etc.

Simply overwrite the msoe.dll file again and it will be fixed.

I can't stand WLM, sorry. It's a nightmare.

Back