Overwrote Grub with EasyBCD, anyway to 'repoint' to Ubuntu?

jfletcha

Ok, I've been using EasyBCD for quite a while now, but just recently decided to mess up my latest install.

I completed wiped my laptop HD, repartitioned appropriately, and installed Windows 7 on 0,0 - then installed Ubuntu 9 on 0,1. Grub loaded fine, but I wanted the clean, windows accessible EasyBCD menu.

Unfortunately, I decided to wipe the GRUB MBR with EasyBCD, and didn't save the GRUB info first. Is there a way to add an entry in EasyBCD to Ubuntu in my case? I know the partition location, but thats it - all of the Linux options don't seem to work for me! I've seen doing the live boot, and reinstalling GRUB on the Ubuntu partition, but I thought I had fixed this previously without this step...

Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks for EasyBCD! :grinning:

Last edited:
Hello jfletcha. Welcome to NST.
Have you tried adding a Linux entry in EasyBCD, pointing it at Drive 0, Partition 2, and not checking off the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector"? One only needs to check that box when the Linux install is on another HDD than Windows.
You will need to install Grub to the partition's bootsector first though.

It is not difficult. You merely have to boot boot from the LiveCD, get to the desktop, open up Applications>Accessories>Terminal, and run the following command:

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda2
or as an alternate option

Code:
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx,y)
quit
exit
where the "x" and the "y" will be most likely replaced with 0,1 in your case, if Ubuntu is where you said it was. Should it happen its somewhere else instead, the find command will tell you where, and you just put those values in.

Jake

Last edited:
You should be able to tick the "grub is not installed" box and access Linux with Neogrub without needing to install grub on Linux at all.

You should be able to tick the "grub is not installed" box and access Linux with Neogrub without needing to install grub on Linux at all.
If the version of NeoGrub in 2.0 Beta is anything like an earlier version I used, Terry, all that option does is point NeoGrub at the menu.lst on the Linux partition, located at /boot/grub/menu.lst. Now, I don't know...Its possible, I suppose, that Guru changed that option since I tried it out last, but I still think GNU Grub needs to be installed to the partition's bootsector. CG can correct me if I'm wrong about that, of course.

Jake

I'm just quoting the wiki

Adding a Linux Entry to NeoGrub

NeoGrub is especially useful when it comes to adding a *nix-based operating system to the Windows Vista bootloader without ever having to install GRUB or Lilo anywhere - not to the bootsector and most certainly not to the MBR either.

though I can't say I've ever tried it myself.

I'm just quoting the wiki

Adding a Linux Entry to NeoGrub

NeoGrub is especially useful when it comes to adding a *nix-based operating system to the Windows Vista bootloader without ever having to install GRUB or Lilo anywhere - not to the bootsector and most certainly not to the MBR either.

though I can't say I've ever tried it myself.
Yes, but I think what Guru meant when he said that, was that happens when you configure NeoGrub manually, so it doesn't use the same configuration it does in the menu.lst, when you use that "Grub is not installed..." option.

ended up using the second set of instructions, now I can access my ubuntu install @ startup via the windows bootloader. Thanks again!!

Back