Partitioning

toxic chicken

when i installed vista, i put it on a 20gb partition. now that i've almost completely filled that up, i want to add another 20gb to it. i resized the xp partition, so now i have 20gb of unallocated space.

acronis disk director (bootable cd) shows the partition size is locked, and disk management won't expand it either.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
So you're good to go?

XcOM

i would recommend booting into windows XP and running partition magic if you have it, if not use the UBCD (Dos version)

Theres loads of partition tools on it, i have used it numerous times

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, if Acronis shows it locked, run a chkdsk /f on the drive.

XcOM

Computer Guru said:
you can't do that becuase its not a drive yet, its un partitioned space, Well i am assuming that what it is, and i didn't think you can do that on un partitioned space, i maybe wrong, try it.
Let me know if it works.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
XcOM said:
Computer Guru said:
you can't do that becuase its not a drive yet, its un partitioned space, Well i am assuming that what it is, and i didn't think you can do that on un partitioned space, i maybe wrong, try it.
Let me know if it works.
No, not on the unallocated space, but on the 'locked' partition.

chkdsk /f the Vista drive, then try to resize.

XcOM

I bet you just loaded UBCD and looked in Hard Drive tools,

You should look in File system tools, theres about 12 diffrent partitioning tools there.

and i see what you meen guru about unlocking the drive.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Good luck :\

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Next time try making the partition for Vista in Vista Setup itself, it saves a headache later on.

So, are you OK with it now?