PC keeps often booting straight into win10 despite other Linux entry

steveis2

Hi,
I have a PC dual booting win10 and Linux mint 20. When I boot up the PC very often it boots straight to win10 despite htere being another entry for Linux. If however I shutdown then reboot the menu appears and I can boot into either win10 or Linux. A second PC with the same set up doesn't do this.
I've reset BCD using backup/repair and deleted and re installed entries but nothing appears to work. Should I just uninstall BCD then reinstall it afresh or is there another fix?

Regards Steve

EasyBCD is just a Windows .NET application. It's not a boot manager, It takes no part in the boot process.
It just manages the contents of the BCD store from the instructions you give it.
MS bootmgr boots the system and gives you a boot menu depending on the contents of the BCD no matter what put them there, Windows setup, bcdedit, EasyBCD or any other available BCD editing program.
Consequently, uninstalling EasyBCD and/or reinstalling it will do absolutely nothing to affect the boot.
Check this to see if it's relevant to your problem

Hi, Thanks for your reply and advice. It does seem to have fixed the issue of booting straight into windows.
On the other hand the blue boot screen has been replaced by a black more text based screen for booting up. I don't think that's a problem although I don't see how it came about. The use metro boot loader box is ticked.

Regards Steve

Is W10 your default OS ?
When I first installed W8 (subsequently upgraded to 8.1 then 10), it used the Metro boot until I changed the default boot to W7, when it reverted to the command line W7 version.
I've always preferred that anyway so never bothered to switch back (even though I have finally, in the last week or two, switched reluctantly across to W10 as my default daily OS).
When I've pointed out the "Use Metro" tick-box to users (unlike yourself) who were unaware of it, none ever came back and said it didn't work, so my only thought is that the default OS chosen might affect it as it did with me all those years ago.

Is W10 your default OS ?
When I first installed W8 (subsequently upgraded to 8.1 then 10), it used the Metro boot until I changed the default boot to W7, when it reverted to the command line W7 version.
I've always preferred that anyway so never bothered to switch back (even though I have finally, in the last week or two, switched reluctantly across to W10 as my default daily OS).
When I've pointed out the "Use Metro" tick-box to users (unlike yourself) who were unaware of it, none ever came back and said it didn't work, so my only thought is that the default OS chosen might affect it as it did with me all those years ago.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I didn't have anything as deafult between win10 and Linux mint. It just started recently booting straight into win10 and now that that is fixed the metro loader is not loading. I don't mind not having the metro loader but I just hope it's not a sign of something more fundamental. I'll try some experiments with and without either OS as default.

Regards Steve

Happened to need to boot back into W7 temporarily just after my last post, so I ticked the Metro box as an experiment. before rebooting.
The GUI flashed up for the 2 seconds wait time specified rather than the command line version, so it seems that having W10 ticked as default does influence the choice of UI.

Back