Planning for a new Desktop PC

should you choose to build or buy you are doing the most critical and time consuming part already.
research, research and research!

the most important element of a successful build and if you should purchase a system instead, an informed consumer is a satisfied consumer

(but if you assemble it yourself from parts you select the satisfaction level is like 3X)

Fixed the link, thanks Peter.

Terry is spot-on, it's seriously a no-brainer to put a machine together these days. So long as you get the right parts, everything just falls into place. All the parts are color-coded, nothing fits in a place it shouldn't be going into, and it's even easier than building a spaceship out of LEGOs or something :grinning:

I think you guys have laid down a challenge which I would be stupid to ignore. There will be much research first. I have loads of time as this machine works perfectly adequately so it may take a while.
I have other things on my mind anyway - like open heart surgery soon....just found out I have to have that done on Friday after they did an angiogram.

That certaintly does take precedence!

I wish you a safe operation and a speedy recovery, Peter... stay well!

As Mahmoud said. Wish you the best on the surgery and hope you are well. Tell those doctors that if they mess up they will haveMahmoud and me to deal with. Cant take away one of our best members! :smile:

But for sure this takes a back burner to something as large as that...

Best Wishes Peter,
Perhaps you'll get away with angioplasty and be back on the boards the next day.
Terry

Apparently it's too bad for angioplasty to be effective. Mutliple bypass surgery is the only solution that they are looking at right now.
I guess I'll learn more in the coming week.

A couple....???? Not yet...I'll post when I know.

Back to my new PC project. It's difficult choosing motherboards because they all seem now to offer a mix of PCI, PCI-e, PCI Express or whatever, but none of them seem to have as many slots as my current board.
While I probably will go with onboard sound (most new ones have 7.1 as an included add-on card with, I assume, its own slot) I would still need slots for 1 or 2 video cards, a TV tuner, a Fax modem card and maybe a USB card - depending on whether or not the M/B has enough USB sockets to start with.
It has to be something like a Maximus Extreme to take the 45nm quad-core extreme chips and offer DDR3 memory support so maybe it means I'm going to have to wait anyway until more M/B's are made.
I favour Asus boards, particularly Maximus Extreme or P5E3, but will go with Intel unless someone really recommends otherwise.

Last edited:
On surgey, luck be with you friend

---

on topic-

so you need somethign with two PIC-E for GFX's? right? and what kinda of port does the fax, and tv tuner take?

as for usb, maybe you should look into a case with useb built in somewhere, and then i got 4 on board usb and i was given another two add ons for 2 usb each. i can have a max total of 10 usb, however, atm im only using 8 lol

i agree to the asus, they have very good boards and come with alot of extra stuffs.

The current TV Tuner and Fax cards are regular PCI (I only have regular PCI or AGP on the current board) so I need a board that has at least 2 old PCI standard slots.
Looking at the ASUS Maximus Extreme and P5E3 boards specs I see that I would have 6 or even 8 USB ports anyway so probably enough.
Anyway, I'm shelving the idea for a while. The medical problem cropped up in the middle of it and has to come first obviously!
:wink:

Back