Possible problem with EasyBCD 2.0.0.76 beta and Win 7 Reserved 100 mb partition

Saltgrass

I have been a little concerned whether EasyBCD would work correctly on a Win 7 install which included the 100 MB System Reserve partition.

I set up a dual boot scenario where the Win 7 drive was primary and the 100 mb partition was system.

I added a second drive with an independent install of XP SP3.

Original boot went straight to the Win 7 install as expected.

I ran EasyBCD 2.0 beta to try to set up a dual boot with the XP drive and was asked if I wanted the ntldr and modified boot.ini files moved and I agreed.

So far, there is no Boot Folder or bootmgr file visible on either the XP ( D: ) or Wn7( C: ) partition, so the files were placed in the System Reserved 100 MB partition.

The Boot menu now showed the Win 7 and XP install but when XP was selected, I received a need to get ntldr message. The page was actually a full page black screen with other comments as well.

Drive 0 Primary in Bios: System Partition(System) - C: Win 7
Drive 1 : D: XP (Active)

System Reserved and D: (with XP) partitions are active.

Bcdedit shows the BCD store as:
Real Mode Boot Sector
{fxxxxkdjflskd-you know}
Partition=C:
\NTLDR
Windows XP

I will leave the system like it is, if you want me to try something different. I have done nothing to modify the EasyBCD install except change the name to Windows XP. Both installs are new and clean.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You're right!

I just remembered something that would cause this bug, let me get back to you on this matter.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yep. I meant to post an update in this thread, but it slipped my mind.

Glad it worked out :smile:

Tasgandy

It appears the Beta 77 build has corrected the problem--thanks.
Saltgrass I have just completed your exact scenario, dual boot XP Pro SP3 & Win 7 where Win 7 is the default (built first) and using Ver. 2.0.0.79 everything worked perfectly, as it should. Hope you have fixed your dual boot system by now.
Tasgandy

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi Tasgandy welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Glad it worked for you :smile: