Print Spool Missing

Hi,

I installed Vista using a stripped-down installation disc and everything is working perfectly. But recently when I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Pro, I realized that some system files were missing. Like for example, I didn't find the "Print Spool" service. So, how can I restore all the missing files? Will the Vista Recovery Disk be able to restore them? I don't want to try out or play around with anything without any expert opinion :grinning:

Thanks

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Hello Dsyfa and Welcome to NST!

That disc is only used to restore a missing boot loader or to get access to a system restore point. It is not used to replace missing Vista files.

Sadly it sounds as if you are outta luck. Sadly this is why using a stripped down version is more costly than using the full version. Never kow what system files are missing till you need them.

If you can get a full DVD you might be able to install those files but i would not bet on it.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I wouldn't either - unlike XP, Vista doesn't support repair installs.

I wouldn't either - unlike XP, Vista doesn't support repair installs.
So what do u suggest I should do now?? I can't afford to perform a clean install:wtf: I'll loose all my installed programs :S

Ok... I have an idea... What if I made a backup of the registry and then after I re-install vista I could import the registry data?

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
No, that would never work.

You really don't have a choice, and that's the reason we never recommend the use of a Vista-lite or XP-lite CD/DVD that hasn't been thoroughly tested by experts or the community.

Either you live with this or you reinstall and lose your programs.

No, that would never work.

You really don't have a choice, and that's the reason we never recommend the use of a Vista-lite or XP-lite CD/DVD that hasn't been thoroughly tested by experts or the community.

Either you live with this or you reinstall and lose your programs.
OK I want to re-install Vista. Can I overwrite my existing installation? Or should I format the drive in which I installed Vista from Windows XP?