Problem booting into Win7 VHD image

shaulbehr

I've already posted this on SuperUser.com, but hopefully somebody on these forums might be able to help:

I have been trying to boot into a Windows 7 VHD, which I set up using EasyBCD.

Now when I boot up, I see my VHD option in the startup menu, but the trouble is when I select it, it starts with the Windows 7 startup splash screen, then the little colored lights freeze, the system flickers into a BSoD, and the computer auto-reboots. Bottom line, cannot boot into the VHD.

Now I know it's possible to boot into a VHD, because so many people before me report having been able to do it. So obviously there's a secret switch somewhere that sets "Blue Screen of Death on Startup" to false. Where is it?

F8 immediately after selecting your boot option to enter the extended boot menu
Select "no automatic restart"
Note the stop code at the BSOD
Bing on that code.

F8 immediately after selecting your boot option to enter the extended boot menu
Select "no automatic restart"
Note the stop code at the BSOD
Bing on that code.

Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Unfortunately my BIOS (AMD Phenom X4 9650) doesn't offer that option... looks like automatic restart is hardwired. Is that possible?

(P.S. "Bing" as a verb:glare:? Microsoft will have to try a lot harder before they get their brand name to replace "Google" as the English verb for web searching... :wink:)

Terry doesn't mean at the BIOS screen. You hit the F8 AFTER leaving the BIOS POST screen, and before the Windows loading screen appears.

Terry doesn't mean at the BIOS screen. You hit the F8 AFTER leaving the BIOS POST screen, and before the Windows loading screen appears.

Ahh... DOH! >.<

error code as below:
STOP: 0x0000007b (0x80786a90 0xc000000e 0x00000000 0x00000000)

Googled it, found this thread which references this thread and both of them are equally incomprehensible to me.

Can you please explain to me in lay terms what the problem is, and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Shaul

HI I HAVE A GATEWAY AND I NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS FROM THE GATEWAY SITE.I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE EXIST MORE THAN ONE DRIVER,WHICH ONE IS GOOD OR THE BEST,I KNOW I HAVE TO CHOOSE ACCORDING TO MY OS AND 32BIT OR 64BIT VERSION.BUT IF THERE ARE 2,3 OR EVEN MORE WHICH ONE IS THE BEST FOR ME?IF I GO TO THE TASK MANAGER CAN I HAVE A SERIAL OR A KIND OF DRIVER NUMBER WHICH AFTER I'LL USE IT TO CHOOSE FROM THE GATEWAY SITE IN MANNER NOT TO CHOOSE ONE INSTEAD OF ANOTHER?PLEASE HELP I NEVER DID A FORMAT WITH VISTA ONLY ON XP AND ANY HELP IS BLESSED AND ACCEPTED.

HI I HAVE A GATEWAY AND I NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS FROM THE GATEWAY SITE.I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE EXIST MORE THAN ONE DRIVER,WHICH ONE IS GOOD OR THE BEST,I KNOW I HAVE TO CHOOSE ACCORDING TO MY OS AND 32BIT OR 64BIT VERSION.BUT IF THERE ARE 2,3 OR EVEN MORE WHICH ONE IS THE BEST FOR ME?IF I GO TO THE TASK MANAGER CAN I HAVE A SERIAL OR A KIND OF DRIVER NUMBER WHICH AFTER I'LL USE IT TO CHOOSE FROM THE GATEWAY SITE IN MANNER NOT TO CHOOSE ONE INSTEAD OF ANOTHER?PLEASE HELP I NEVER DID A FORMAT WITH VISTA ONLY ON XP AND ANY HELP IS BLESSED AND ACCEPTED.
What's the model number of your Gateway?
And which OS do you need the drivers for (since it sounds like you have a dual-boot)? XP or Vista?

Btw, using ALL-CAPS in posts is generally "frowned on" on these forums. :wink:

Back