Problem changing dual boot

Driveldriver

When I upgraded from Vista to windows 7. I wanted to keep Vista in case there were some programmes that initially wouldn't run on Windows 7 64 bit, so I ended up with dual boot with Vista on my D: drive and Windows 7 on my C: drive. I now want to get rid of the dual boot (and Vista) and format the D: drive, but the bootloader was on D: After searching the internet I came across EasyBCD and some info in your forums and transferred the bootloader to C:
View Settings now show this:
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30
EasyBCD boot device: c:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader path: Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {72bb3ee4-e43d-11dd-aae8-eddd5b2154b1}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader path: \ Windows\system32\winload.exe

(Entry #1 shows the bootloader path going via "system32" when I have Windows 7-64 bit. Does that matter? Control panel shows that 64 bit is running)
Disk management, however, still shows "system" on the d: drive:
C: Drive - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary partition)
D: Drive - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

I'm a little nervous to experiment, so some help would be appreciated. How can I get that "system" onto C: drive so that I can reformat my D: drive?
(Vista was upgraded from XP)

"system" is telling you where the boot files are which were used to start the running system ("boot")
If you've used EasyBCD "change boot drive" and pointed it to C, then it will have copied (not moved) the files, so D is still "system" for the remainder of this session till you reboot.
Change your BIOS to put W7 before Vista in the boot sequence and reboot W7 and you should find W7 is "system" and Vista is free to be removed.
You can always switch the BIOS back if you experience any problems. All the boot files are untouched on D until you're ready and happy to format them away.

Back