Problem with a fedora partition, after migration

Esperado

I had (yes i know i'm crazy) migrated form a 1TB black caviar to 2XRAID0 of 2X300 velociraptors each.
Including my Easy BCD.

On raid volume 0, i have
- a unused boot parttion with my swap file.
- A unused copy of seven,
- a E: partition with my programs
- and a D: partition with my Datas and the Seven Users.

On the Raid volume 1, i have
- boot, easy BCD, and the swap for the Seven of the volume 0
- the Seven system partition
- a Linux Fedora
- and an other Datas partition.

I'm able to set all my Seven working and lunched with EasyBCD (included the one on the original Caviar single Disk in a Dock).
But no way to boot on my Fedora partition (tried everything ?).
I can load this Fedora with Super Grub, but i'm unsure there is a boot record in the Fedora partition after copy, as it was on the origianal disk and i suppose the partitions UID are changed in my RAID from the original.
I had renamed the Grub folder in the fedora partition to Grub-old to be sure there is no mistakes, as it use GRUB 2, an want to mention that i'm not good at all in Linux, like all the old Windows users.
Any track ?

Would like to add i'm under Seven 64.

Last edited:
It looks like my Fedora shows a lot of errors. If i try to mount in it one of my NTFS partitions, if i try to rebuild GRUB2 (RAID problem ?) So, i'm stuck.
Please, any help will be welcome.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Tried-it and finally manage to have-it working.
Well, Fedora 15 or 17 use grub2 and a very very poor and affraying installer.
The problem is Grub2 use a Dos notation of partition, and s a very strange way to number them. And it is much more complicated with Raids. Of course, Grub has no easy tools to shows the available entries for partitions with his own notations. So, Manually fix them is a pain in the ass.
By example, My two raid s are shown as m124 (+m125) and m126 (+m127). And Grub use m125 to access the m126 volume :frowning:.
My suggestion for Easy BCD would be to provide some kind of Supergrub tool, able to record the results in a file you can use after a successful loading of Linux ?

Ps: sorry to have been so long to answer to your message, but i had not received any email notification of it (just it it can help).
And congratulation for your very very nice Easy BCD tool, the best ever.

Last edited:
EasyBCD can automatically search for and load GRUB2 no matter where it is installed. That should make things easier - just be sure to use EasyBCD 2.2 (just released) as 2.1.2 does not support F17.

Hi, Mahmoud.
Thanks a lot for the new version. My problem was a bit complicated and different. I had migrated my Linux and windows installation to other disks (from single to 2 array) with complete new letters (and volumes ID) arrengements.
While Windows 7 was able to locate itself and repair it bootloader with the reparation Disk, The Linux GRUB2 bootloader (originaly installed on the Linux partition ) was lost during the copy. More than that, the files Grub2 used to locate my Fedora are wrong, now, because the changes of the disks. So, no way to use the grub2 entry.

My Windows XP was definitivaly Lost, because it used his own Raid driver witch crashes with blue sceen, and no way to force-it, on an installed version, to use my own good driver.
Even if i load-it from the old Didk without any raid plugged, if no raid, no way to install my raid driver.
And if raid present, it load, then, once in the Desktop, and wothout any time for me to do anything, it load his own driver then blue screen. Too bad, but not the Easy BCD problem.

With all the problems we enconter with Linux distrib, now (changes in their bootloaders), my suggestion would be for EASY bcd to never use the original Grubs any more, but to use systematicaly EASYBCD own (with his own files) by default, asking the user to only indicate the destination partition of the Linux Operating system. Some kind of Super grug, trying all solutions, detecting succeded lodings, and, then, recording the good configuration.
But, may-be it is impossible or too complicated ?

Thanks again for your work, the Best Boot program ever. I admire-you, as i know how much they all (Microsoft and Linux) worked so much to complicate in an incredible way this simple action to boot an operating system.

PS: I do not understand what you said about F 17 (Fedora 17 ?), it was perfectly loaded with the previous version here.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words.

The problem with using our own configuration files is that Linux is kinda stupid: when you install kernel updates for Linux, it breaks the boot files. You would end up having to delete and recreate the EasyBCD entries each time you install a system update in Linux.

Whereas when we use the pre-existing Linux config files, Linux updates these each time the kernel is upgraded. As such, when we simply load the existing config files, they are always up to date.

Back