Problem with BCD entry

I'm dual booting adding Windows 7 64bit to my existing XP Pro machine.
After installing Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and selecting it from the dual boot screen I get the following error.

Windows failed to start due to missing or corrupt application

File windows/system32/winload.exe

Error code : 0x000000f

I have two physical drives. On the First is partitions C and D then a DVD drive takes drive letter E and the second physical drive is letter F.

I am dual booting with my original installation of XP Pro on drive C. I booted from the install disk (Windows 7 64bit version) selecting custom install and to install on my second physical drive F. At the reboot I have the error above when I try to boot Win 7 the XP pro boot is fine.

So I ran the Windows 7 repair option and selected the repair startup and got the following error in the report:-

Boot manager failed to find OS loader
File repair failed Error code = 0xa
Repair action: data store repair failed error code = 0x490

So I ran the command prompt with BCDEDIT.EXE which shows this problem
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e39d602d-c29a-11de-bc7a-db502fc7f629}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e39d602c-c29a-11de-bc7a-db502fc7f629}
nx OptIn
detecthal Yes

It looks like the BCD information for the Windows 7 install is pointing to the D: drive instead of the F: drive I installed it to. As I don’t know the syntax for the new BCDEdit application to change the entry I installed EasyBCD under my XP install to change the information for the store however EasyBCD reports the following information showing the Window 7 partition located on the F: drive which is correct???
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e39d602d-c29a-11de-bc7a-db502fc7f629}
device partition=F:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=F:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e39d602c-c29a-11de-bc7a-db502fc7f629}
nx OptIn
detecthal Yes

So what’s going on?. At a windows OS level EasyBCD shows the correct information for the store but at command level from the Windows 7 disk it shows it to be incorrect pointing at the D drive and I assume this is the one that matters.

Regards,
Eric.

Hi Eric, welcome to NST.
Enter your BIOS, and put the W7 HDD first in the boot sequence.
Save the changes, and exit the BIOS.
Boot the W7 DVD.
Select "Repair My Computer", select "Startup Repair". Run it 2-3 times to fix everything.
Boot W7. Install Easy 2.0 in W7.
Delete the XP entry, add it again, letting it auto-configure.
You will now have your dual-boot.

The reason the drive letter showed different from the W7 DVD command prompt is because the drive letters are counted differently there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Coolname007.

I've just rebooted back into Xp after having a look around with the repair console booted from the Win7 disk and also noticed that the drive mapping's are messed up. C->C ok but D->F, E->D and F->E(DVD drive). I installed Win7 on the 2nd disk F. Does this make a difference or should I still go with your instructions?

Thanks,
Eric.

No, this doesn't make a difference either. Each system will see the drive letters differently, in most cases, unless you manually set each letter in each system in Disk Management.

Please proceed with my instructions.

Jake

Ran into a problem. I set my second drive to be the first booted from the Win7 dvd but it doesn't see the Win7 install on the drive tried the repair but nothing. I think the reason for this is that all the boot information was installed on my C drive (my original first boot disk).

So if I set my second drive to be the first one again but this time boot from the dvd and re-install windows7 again and then from that point follow your instructions do you think that will work?

Eric.

You don't need to reinstall W7, just do the startup repair 3 times.
If booting the DVD, it can't see your W7 installation to repair it, disconnect the XP disk first then try again. Reconnect XP after the repair successfully gets W7 booting alone (keep W7 first in the BIOS), and follow Jake's advice to add XP to the W7 boot.

Back