problem with none working \NST\*.mbr files

yamba

Hello

im trying to installing ubuntu 12.04 64bit along side the windows 7 64bit that came preinstalled with my new laptop but i have yet to have some luck there, my laptop have a UEFI Bios with an 1tb hdd that have a GPT mbr, converting it to a normal MBR is not an option as the recovery dvds can not install windows 7 solo only a complete restore that also reformat the harddisk.

i installed ubuntu on sda7 and told it to install the bootmenu also to the sda7, i have the tryed to add it in the menu as both grub, grub2, lilo and also neogrub, when i reboot i can see all the options in my boot menu but when i pick any of them it just gives me an error saying there is something wrong with \NST\NeoGrub.mbr or some of the other files, but they are all where they should be i verifyed the files was in the c:\NST directory

im using the newest beta of V2.2 downloaded here from the forum

i have tryed to disable the uefi in bios but that make no difference eather. i hope someone can tell me where my error is as i miss running linux on my laptop :smile:

my config looks like this

Code:
There are a total of 5 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 10 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: CD/DVD Drive 
BCD ID: {134b7ceb-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}
Device: Unknown
Bootloader Path: 

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Entry #3
Name: NeoSmart Linux 2
BCD ID: {134b7cf6-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Entry #4
Name: NeoSmart Linux 3
BCD ID: {134b7cf7-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_linux.mbr

Entry #5
Name: NeoSmart Linux 4
BCD ID: {134b7cf8-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr

Well you wouldnt need all those entries. So remove all of the Linux Entries. Next Ubuntu uses GRUB2 so that is the option you should be picking. Last you should use the drop down menu to select the drive you installed Ubuntu on. The auto locate option will not work for you.

Thanks for the tips, after removing the entryes and adding a new grub2 where i point directly to the partition with ubuntu im still getting a error with \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr Status 0xc0000098 information translated to english says "The selected entry could not be read, as the program is missing or damaged" do i need todo something to generate my own .mbr files or are the auto generated supposed to work ? i checked an extra time the file is located on c:\NST is it possible somehow BCD ID: field dont work right ?

my config looks like this now

Code:
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Entry #1
Name: CD/DVD Drive 
BCD ID: {134b7ceb-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}
Device: Unknown
Bootloader Path: 

Entry #2

Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu 12.04
BCD ID: {134b7cf9-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}

Why do you have an entry for the CD ROM Device? That shouldnt be there cause it doesnt do nothing. Your entries should look like this:

Code:
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Entry #1

Entry #2
Name: Ubuntu 12.04
BCD ID: {134b7cf9-c96c-11e1-b621-edeaabba61b6}

im pretty sure its the program itself that added the CD entry, i havent added it at any point, but after i removed it i still have the same problem and same error msg :frowning:

is there any kind of info i can give that might help find a sollution to the problem ?

Addendum

EasyBCD does not yet officially support EFI/GPT configurations.

ahh to bad i did not notice that before i could have saved myself 25$ :frowning:

im pretty sure its the program itself that added the CD entry, i havent added it at any point, but after i removed it i still have the same problem and same error msg :frowning:

EasyBCD doesnt do anything unless it is told to by the user. It is literally just a graphical representation of the BCD that Windows uses. Nothing more, nothing less. It only does what it is told.

Back