problem with the vista 32 bit recovery disk

Charlik09

I have the Toshiba Satellite A300 running on the vista home premium (i think).
When I turned my laptop on this morning it came up with a black screen with the following error message:
BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

So I downloaded the Windows Vista Recovery Disc 32-Bit (x86) Edition followed all the instructions online, and managed to avoid the message this time and the disk looked like it was working. But then it came up with a blue screen saying that windows had shut down to protect the data and I should restart.
I did so, the same page came up again, so I tried pressing F8 like it told me to to try the safe load, but all it's now doing is coming up with the original error message:
BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

Is it completely ruined?

Hi Charli, welcome to NST.
Did you see a" press any key to boot from CD" message ?
If not, your PC has the BIOS set to boot from HDD first, so it's hitting the error without getting the opportunity to use the recovery CD.
Use whatever instruction is on the first spash screen you see, to enter the BIOS setup utility. Navigate to the boot sequence screen(s), and make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from CD before HDD.
Then power on again with the CD in the tray, "press any key" when asked and follow the instructions here.

Back