problem

aligator

Distinguished Member
hey there people i have a problem with my laptop im using windows xp and everytime i open a menu such as tools or help (drop downs) all the contents are invisible until i run the mouse over them pretty annoying:rage::rage::rage: for some reason it doesn't happen with favourites any thoughts guys?

If you saw my post at the weekend about XP internet, you'll know that sometimes systems get screwed for no discernable reason, when you've done nothing that could conceivably have any bearing on the matter.
If it's still there after you boot, try what Guru advised me to do - System restore back to the nearest point before it started happening, and add it to the list of life's impenetrable mysteries.

well that would probably work but its not only an internet problem but also a system problem
(happens with non internet thingies) plus i have no expeience in doing system restores and havent done any system save calibration thingy majingy

No I didn't mean yours was an Internet problem, I was just giving my problem as an example of the fact that sometimes things stop working for no good reason.
System restore, if you've got it enabled, is absolute simplicity.
Just click on it and it will give you a list of dates and times you can go back to. Pick the nearest before you started to get problems and leave it to fix everything for you. (stop everything else you're running first). It'll reboot and you'll be back where you were with the problem magically gone away.

i had that problem before a simple restart like terry said should solve it.
However, i dont know what causes it to prevent it in the future.

system restore does not get rid of any documents. It just returns windows to how it was at that time and keeps the documents

Because sometimes the problem still persists after using System Restore, or there are no good restore points from before the problem occurred, etc.

The computer does make restore points but only like once eery 3 months or something silly unless it is forced to by installing something liek SP3 or the likes. It is always better to create your own on a more regular basisi if you use them.

As for what causes it. Could be anything. Driver update, application update, applicaiton conflict with the update, spyware, malware....there are just so many factors that go into a PC usage that everything become a factor. Unles syou keep your system tidy at all times and stay off the internet to prevent infection. Everything is a factor.

doesnt vista put a restore point whenever you install something?
I know after Bioshock and Daemon Tools and World In Conflict and a couple others it did.

Not automatically - developers can tell Vista to make a restore point when their installer first runs.

From experience, I'd say that Vista is a little more methodical than either XP or ME (where sys res first became part of windows) in creating restore points. It certainly seems to do them for most installs, including WUD.

ADD

"To store restore points, you need at least 300 megabytes (MB) of free space on each hard disk that has System Protection turned on. System Restore might use up to 15 percent of the space on each disk. As the amount of space fills up with restore points, System Restore will delete older restore points to make room for new ones.
System Restore will not run on hard disks smaller than 1 gigabyte (GB)." Source Vista Help Sys Res FAQ.

Last edited:
It should take care of most viruses i think.
As i said before it returns your system to exactly how it was before while keeping the documents. So as long as the restore point isnt corrupt and the virus doesnt get saved, it should get rid of them, right??

Not necessarily - viruses can infect files that are not restored, such as your word documents.

Viruses can also be in the restore itself. As part of the problem it can infect the restore points so that when you go back you are still infected. So restore points are not a good way to get rid of viruses and spyware as they can be in so many files that are not part of the system restore as Guru said that it is not worth it. If you need to get rid of them there are plenty of better ways.

Viruses can also be in the restore itself. As part of the problem it can infect the restore points so that when you go back you are still infected. So restore points are not a good way to get rid of viruses and spyware as they can be in so many files that are not part of the system restore as Guru said that it is not worth it. If you need to get rid of them there are plenty of better ways.

Thats what i meant by the restore point is corrupt. I also meant the virus getting saved as in restored as Guru said in a document or such.

Should have made myself clearer :smile: :smile:

Back