Problems installing Easy Transfer due to multiple-boot system

kewartist

I have, thanks to EasyBCD installed a multiple-boot sytem consisting of XP, Vista and W7. I would like to transfer all my settings from Vista to W7 with Easy Transfer. Problem is I cannot install Vista SP1 needed for Easy Transfer due to multiple-boot system I understand from an article in apcmac.com. They suggest to use EasyBDC to reinstall Vista bootloader, install Vista SP1 and then reinstall the present MBR which looks like this:
There are a total of 4 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #4
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {2f828486-e17c-11dd-96bf-001bfcd09f03}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

I rather asks here first before I start doing anything. What steps do I have to do? I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
When you install SP1 and SP2 on Vista (why haven't you already done it - Vista was horrid before SP1), they both replace bootmgr in stage 3, but they won't affect the multi-boot entries in the BCD.
Because it's the Vista rather than the W7 version, you might see cosmetic differences in the boot, but everything should boot as before. You can correct the cosmetic changes with EasyBCD 2.0 afterwards if you want.

Thank you Terry. I didn't use Vista much, mainly XP. However, problem is that SP1 will not install with present configuration. If I reinstall Vista bootloader to point the install to Vista will I be able after having installed SP1 to reconstruct the same configuration with EasyBCD I show in my previous post to have all three OS running?

I'm sorry, I don't understand why Vista SP1 update won't run.
If you have the multi-boot you describe, with Vista as "system", using bootmgr and the BCD to control the boot, you just need to boot Vista and do the WUD.
The SP1 update of bootmgr won't interfere unless you're using a boot manager other than Vista/W7.

Sorry Terry, I do not understand either. Don't forget I am the apprentice. I have changed Vista as being the main OS. It now appears in the bootmgr on top of W7 and XP but still I cannot run SP1. It opens and lets me open the screen with the license terms but then the "NEXT" box remains grey and I cannot proceed.

Do I need to delete both boot entries for XP and W7 with BCD that only Vista is present in the bootmgr.

I think we're at crossed purposes.
I was talking about booting Vista as it currently exists, then entering Windows Update and selecting SP1 to be installed.
You appear to be trying to completely reinstall Vista from an SP1 DVD ?

No, I think this is what I try. I have currently installed on Disk 0 XP and Vista and on Disk 1 Windows 7. When I boot the bootmgr originally showed me in the menu:
Windows 7
Vista
XP
I have changed this with BCD. Now when I boot it shows:
Vista
Earlier Versions of Windows ( don't know why it shows this?)
Windows 7
XP
To me this means it boots directly into Vista. Is that correct? I have SP1 on an official Windows CD but it will not run.

This old apc article: Vista SP1 won't install on dual-boot systems: Microsoft
makes me think that it has something to do with the multiple boot system. But before I start to delete the entries for XP and W7 in the bootmgr I thought the better and ask for advice in this forum if this is correct. Thank you.

Last edited:
That APC article is just talking about the situation where you're not using the MS bootmgr to boot Vista.
The SP1 upgrade replaces bootmgr and takes control of the boot back from Grub or whatever.
In your case, you are using MS bootmgr so that's not a problem.
The order that you see the systems in on your boot menu doesn't determine the default.
In EasyBCD "add/remove entries" | "manage existing entries", you can alter the position of the entries in the menu.
In "change settings" "global settings" you can choose which entry is the default
In "change settings" "entry based setings" you can rename "Earlier version" to XP or whatever you want to call it (MS uses that title for any Windows folder it finds that isn't Vista/W7.

How do you use this CD ? boot from it ? or just run it from inside Vista ?

That's the funny thing, I asked myself but thought it would be on the next screen. I do not see ACCEPT. Hope you are able to see the images below:
moz-screenshot-2.png

moz-screenshot-4.png
moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png

Last edited:
Here are the two screen shots. Can you read them?

Sorry, need to say the first is showing when I insert the CD and click on setup. The second is showing when I click "next" on the first screen but then "next" on the scond screen remans grey and I cannot proceed and "accept" is nowhere to be seen.

Attachments

• SP1 1.jpg
    SP1 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5
  • SP1 2.jpg
    SP1 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Terry, I searched a bit and found this System Update Readiness Tool. Apparently there has been a major problem with SP1 which I missed. Now that I want to use Easy Transfer I am confronted with the problem. I am also not able to install this tool let alone SP1. It seems however that the problem is not with the boot mgr and unless you have a briliant solution I do not want to use your valuable time anymore. What a drag. Ijust want to use an apparently more easy and elegant way to transfer settings and then you run into something much more complex and no straight forward answer.

That's weird.
Does anything else appear if you drag the bottom right corner away to increase the box size ?
(I notice the text is truncated)

Hi Terry, I am totally frustrated with this Microsoft let down. I am not able to increase the box size. Instead I did decrease the content of the box with Ctrl + mouse wheel but there is no accept box to see.

You sure you got SP1 from MS's site or WUD? Cause any legitimate setup would have had an accept option and those licence terms even look messed up.

There are some pre-requisite updates required to install SP1 but downloading the package manually without WUD should include those updates. If you're using WUD it actually shouldn't have offered SP1 to your machine until you get the required updates.

Download the full installer from here. Its a little big but should have everything you need.
When that's done you should also update to SP2 and catch up on every other update with WUD.

As far as Easy Transfer is concerned upgrading the SP won't get rid of it. As Terry said upgrading may replace bootmgr but your boot settings should remain intact and if not EasyBCD is your friend.

Hello Justin, Thank you for your input. I already downloaded KB 936330 (SP1) last Friday after the official MS CD Part No. X1433174-01 did not do the update install from within Vista. Before as advised by Microsoft I did install all the Vista updates accumulated. Vista Home Premium came preinstalled with this HP PC.

I then found this apc article I mentioned above and came here to find help, but after starting to communicate with Terry it looked as if it isn't the boot manager set up, or is it?

Anyway the downloaded pack behaved exactly as the one on the CD. I searched further and found leads about the prerequisites. I downloaded KB947821 the 'System Update Readiness Tool' which apparently would prepare Vista to accept SP1 and I also downloaded KB948465 (SP2) for just in case.

The tool tried to install the first time I ran it but stopped about 3/4 of the way and after a while abandonded by saying 'completed'. When I tried a second time it did not even start to install. I have not tried to install SP2 of course.

Addendum:

There is no way around it seems to transfer Vista settings into Windows 7 without having SP1 installed and may be even SP2 and I cannot find anywhere a clear explanantion why the Vista Home Premium installation refuses the update. It seems I have to do it the traditional way and install each and every program and application again.

Last edited:
Have not updated from within Vista? You haft to...

Download the update packages again from the links I gave you. They're straight from MS's site. I'm not sure where you got your update packages but it should allow you to proceed with a valid installer. Updating is just a minor chunk of time that's surely worth it if you need to get all of the settings/user accounts over to the other PC.

Back