Quad boot xp,7, ubuntu, ubuntu studio

paul3200

at the moment i have XP,7 and ubuntu on a triple boot using easy bcd

i want to add ubuntu studio to the drive can i use the windows boot loader to do it or will i need to use the grub2 thing

thanks in advance

Ubuntu studio is just another Ubuntu. So question you’re asking is can you set up to Ubuntu’s on a system and use Easy BCD to boot into both of them. The answer is yes but it gets a bit complicated.

Easy BCD only has the ability to boot into one Ubuntu in a sense. Specifically you can only have one entry for Ubuntu in Easy BCD. However, you will still automatically have GRUB-2 as the second boot loader. Normally users can set the time to display the second boot loader to zero so you don’t see it. in this case you do not want to do that. When you select Ubuntu from Easy BCD you will boot into GRUB-2. From there hopefully you will have the choice of either one of the two Ubuntu’s.

What happens when you make the Ubuntu entry in Easy BCD, Easy BCD looks for the grub.cfg file in the first Ubuntu it finds on the hard drive gone for the front to the back. So if you install the first (in the sense of where it is on the hard disk) Ubuntu second, that grub.cfg file will have the information on both Ubuntu installs. Then you can go into Easy BCD and delete the existing Ubuntu entry. Then make a new Ubuntu entry. Then you will be able access both Ubuntu’s.

If however you do not want to install the second installation of Ubuntu in front of the first, you’re going to have to copy the grub.cfg file from the second Ubuntu to the first.

To copy the grub.cfg configuration file from the second Ubuntu to the first follow the following procedure.

Download ext2explore and boot into Windows XP. It won’t work from Windows 7 by default. Use it to locate the grub.cfg file located in the boot/grub folder. Double-click on the grub.cfg file so you can save it. Copy it to a USB stick.

Boot into the first Ubuntu. Install the USB stick. What we want to do now is modify the permissions for the grub.cfg file so we can replace it. To do this we need to get root or superuser access. While this can be done from the command line I found a neat little trick to do it graphically. Go to applications, accessories, terminal. The real name of places or the file manager in Ubuntu is Nautilus. If you are in Ubuntu 10.04 type GKSU Nautilus at the command line. If you’re in Ubuntu 10.10 type GKSUDO Nautilus at the command line. Navigate to your USB stick and copy grub.cfg. Click on file system. Navigate to boot/grub. Click on the grub.cfg file. Right-click on properties. Set privileges for owner to “read/write”. Click on the space between the icons. Right-click, paste.

Back in Easy BCD you can now make the single entry for Ubuntu that will give you access to both Ubuntu’s after you delete the existing Ubuntu entry.

ext2explore 2.2.71
Download ext2explore 2.2.71 Free - View your ext2 / ext3 files with this tool. - Softpedia

I haven't heard of many people trying to dual boot different versions of Ubuntu. Really nicely detailed instructions and I was actually able to get it working as a test after seeing this thread. After messing around a bit in Studio though, I'm wondering why not use your 4th slot for Lion or something?

The reason is because Lion cant be installed on any hardware but Apple PC's.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.
This License does not allow the Apple
Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
computers at the same time.

This information can be found on Apple's website located here.

So you cant install OS X legally on a PC. You would have to go about illegally. Not something we support. You could go with any other version of Linux like Kubuntu, PC-BSD, FreeBSD among many others.

Back