Quad boot - XP/Win7/OSX/Ubuntu how to chain bootloaders??

smee

So the title says it.
I'm running WinXP, Win7, OSX and Ubuntu successfully all on a single 320GB harddrive on my netbook. (Asus eeepC 1000HE with upgrades)

I absolutely LOVE the EasyBCD software, and I want to say thank you to NeoSmart Tech for that.

But the reason for this post is, I can boot into either of the four OS's, but when I select the OSX partition it will take me to the Darwin bootloader after that, then I can select the OSX partition again to boot into OSX.
When I select the Ubuntu partition it'll then take me to the (grub?) bootloader and then I'll select the Ubuntu partition to boot from.
However when I select either XP or Win7 it'll just boot straight into either of them, this is what I would like for OSX and Ubuntu as well.
I've heard this is called 'chaining bootloaders'?

I've done a quick search on the forums here and on google, but can't seem to find any 'guide' or 'tutorial' on it.

If someone could help me set it up so I don't have to go through 2 bootloaders to get to my OS's then that would be fantastic!
But if there isn't a way to do it yet, I am fine, as long as I can get to my OS's.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
~Parker

Hello smee, welcome to NST.
This is an issue that is currently being worked on by the developer. Until he finds a solution, there's nothing much that can be done about it unfortunately.

Cheers.

Jake

In ubuntu, edit boot/grub/menu.lst and change timeout to 0.
The second menu will not be presented.
No experience of OSX, but surely it does something similar ?

In ubuntu, edit boot/grub/menu.lst and change timeout to 0.
The second menu will not be presented.
No experience of OSX, but surely it does something similar ?
I think he is referring to, Terry, having to select drive 81, 82, etc. after selecting OS X in the Win 7 boot menu. :wink: And that is what I was responding to when I said it was an issue that is being worked on by the developer, because CG mentioned in another thread, this is an issue he is working on. There is no solution at this time, though, AFAIK. :frowning:

Jake

Ok I will try that Terry! Thanks!

Coolname, no problem I assumed it was a known issue that is being worked on, but still wanted to confirm that. I can live with it for now. :smile:

I will report back with more results.

Back