Queries regarding triple (Windows 10) OS boot conversion to UEFI

dafyddefi

Hi
I would be grateful for some advice please regarding the use of EasyBCD and changing my multi boot system from Legacy to UEFI.
I currently have three Windows 10 OS's on three separate drives, all drives are MBR and the BIOS is set to Legacy+UEFI, with the alternative option of UEFI only.
With UEFI and Windows 11 slowly creeping up on us, I thought that changing all my bootable drives to GPT style, and setting the BIOS to UEFI might be a good idea. (the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind here!).
So I have some queries if someone would be so kind to advise me.

Assuming EasyBCD is OK with UEFI,

If I change the bootable drives to GPT style (using mbr2gpt or some othe third party tool), and the BIOS to UEFI, do I then have to re-create the boot menu using EasyBCD, or will the existing menu still be intact and both readable and modifiable via EasyBCD?

This statement in your documentation .....

<...Performing a single “Automated Repair” run in EasyRE is sufficient to make your Windows installation bootable in legacy/MBR mode as well as EFI/GPT mode. You may need to give legacy/bios mode loading priority over UEFI in your BIOS setup/configuration (“load legacy first”).....>

seems to infer that a bootable disk can be configured to boot from either MBR or UEFI environment. Could you confirm that? (Is this the function of the "MBR protective block" in the GUID partition table?)

Back